20" iMac internal HD discuss!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by farrance, Oct 18, 2011.

1. farrance macrumors newbie

Posted here for the first time a while back about my iMac. I've decided to try something but I have absolutely ZERO idea on whether or not it will worth.

Effectively, one SSD and one 2.5" HDD in a 3.5" bracket. I've looked online as much as I can to find out whether or not a 20" 2.4ghz iMac has 2 SATA ports for this, but I figured this is where you guys could help me out! I'm about to put FCX on my machine and I would prefer to put it on an SSD! :D

If this isn't possible at all, I will probably just go down the bigger SSD route and have external drives, but I hate clutter and slow read write speeds!
    :eek:
    Help!

:apple:4LYF.

2. simsaladimbamba

Do you want to put the actual application called Final Cut Pro X (FCP X) onto the SSD or do you want to put the actual media (transcoded or not?) onto the SSD?

As far as I know, from iFixIt's guide on how to replace the internal HDD on 20" Aluminium iMacs, the 20" Aluminium iMac does only have one S-ATA port for the HDD, the other port is used for the optical disk drive (ODD).
    Or do you have the white iMac?

3. farrance thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a late 2008 20" iMac aluminium one. FCP X will be on the SSD and anything that isn't actual media will be on the SSD. The HDD will be for music, pictures, video and such :)

4. simsaladimbamba

5. farrance thread starter macrumors newbie

Righty then..

okay, so now it's the more expensive route. Whats a fast SSD for my iMac then? If the external HD is the route to go for my media, i may aswell use Firewire for music, pictures etc.

Any suggestions?

6. farrance thread starter macrumors newbie

Decided to go for an SSD. I've been looking at Corsair ones, I'm looking for either a 128 or 160GB model with the fastest ability for my iMac. I dont know what sata my iMac supports, so I'm not sure how fast of read and write I can get.

Any suggestions anyone? I have £210 to spend which is about $350? I think...

7. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I suspect the machine support 3G SATA, though don't quote me.

However, some machines can use a 6G drive in case you ever want to pull it and put it into a computer supporting 6G. However, some 3G SATA Macs fuss if you put in a 6G drive and give you even worse than 3G speeds.

8. farrance thread starter macrumors newbie

it appears I have the exact same model iMac as you. Mines the 800mhz model?

It's going to have FCP and such on it and I don't want to be waiting forever to stuff to load!

Know of any good and suited SSDs for a late 08 iMac?

9. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I find the older OCZ Vertex 2 series perfect for Mac use. I just put a small 50GB one in a 2006 iMac. Mass storage is on my networks NAS. Works like a charm.

10. farrance thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm considering the OCZ Agility Series 3. Is that a good option? I know it won't be slow but I don't want it to obviously be the same speed as my current 5400rpm drive.

11. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

The Vertex 2 & 3 are extremely fast. Night & day difference from a stock 5400 RPM drive.

12. farrance thread starter macrumors newbie

You reckon I should go for one of those then? I've been talking to a few people that run OSX on current gen SSD's and they say they haven't noticed any appreciable difference on their older machines. i.e. 24" and 20".

I'm looking at the 128GB model, or if theres a 160 ill have that haha