20" iMac now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by photomel, Nov 5, 2007.

  1. photomel macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2007
    Location:
    Bend, OR
    #1
    You can call me a Mac convert since getting my first Mac(a MacBook) for work about 6 months. Now I am seriously thinking about getting an iMac for use at home and for non-work related things.

    I am reading about all of the problems with the 20" iMac, freezing issues and Leopard upgrade issues. Would it be prudent for me to purchase one now or later? I am mainly going to be running InDesign, Photoshop, iWork, email, and music. I think the 24" is too big for my needs??? My main concern is freezing and a lower quality monitor. Of course I am anxious too!

    What do you think? :confused:
     
  2. tingly macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2005
    #2
    If you're not in a hurry to buy, might as well wait it out until the concern goes away. Screen size is like desk size. You'll wonder what to do with all that, but it is a quick trip to wondering how you ever managed with the smaller one.
     
  3. I'm a Mac macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2007
    #3
    If you want to spend the money and can fit it on your desk, I would go for the 24". If you buy the 20", you might wish the screen was bigger, but if you buy the 24", I'll doubt you'll ever regret having a big screen.
     
  4. lampdeskchair macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2007
    #4
    Unless you're getting the barebones 20" for 1199, the price to bump up from a midrange 20" configuration to a 24" really isn't that bad. I'd go for the 24" if possible.

    Anyways now is actually a great time to get an imac. They're new hardware, best to get it now and enjoy it. :)
     
  5. photomel thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2007
    Location:
    Bend, OR
    #5
    yes....I am tempted!

    I am tempted to get the 24 screen. I really need to see one in person and compare it to the 20" I guess. I do not have an Apple store nearby but I suppose I can go check out another dealer?

    Anyway, it is the big decision I am making......which iMac to buy! :D
     
  6. mets1125 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2007
    Location:
    Queens, NY
    #6

    Since you do not have an :apple: store nearby go to any apple retailer (best buy, comp. USA)
     
  7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

    ucfgrad93

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Location:
    Colorado
    #7
    The freezing issue is only affecting a small number of users. There have been no problems on my 20 inch iMac.
     
  8. hankolerd macrumors 6502

    hankolerd

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2007
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #8
    I have a 20" and my dad has a 24"...I have only had a chance to see it once, but it was gorgeous. I really doubt you would regret the extra price of the 24" especially if you have alot of data you are storing, because then you can get the 1Tb drive.

    As far as now or waiting, I would say go for it. My dad and friend got theres 4-6 weeks ago from Apple.com, and neither of them have had any problems with screen issues or anything. The upgrade to Leopard problem was a brief mistake Apple made and immediately fixed(well a couple days I guess). But if you get one now it will come with Leopard pre-installed, so you will have nothing to worry about. At some point, either when you buy it, or within the first year, I would get the AppleCare plan. You never know what might happen. I am living in a very dusty environment, and I am hoping my computer is ok with it, but I got the AppleCare plan just in case it decides to overheat.

    Well good luck deciding with your purchase and enjoy!:apple:
     
  9. hofnar macrumors regular

    hofnar

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2006
    Location:
    Brooklyn, NY
    #9
    I am thinking about buying one real soon too. I am long due for a new computer, and I would like to get a desktop. I have a macpro at work, so I am just looking for something for email and music and so on. Work from home a bit too.

    Anyway- say I do get one with a gradient problem. If I wait till the next rev comes out and then I take it to the store and they give me a replacement, will they give me a rev B or will they give me a new rev A for a replacement?
     
  10. jdsmoooth macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2007
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #10
    Why Wait?

    It's a great time to buy an iMac. I got the 24" 2.8ghz and I love it. If I were you, I would definitely get the 24". The screen is the eyes to your computer, and you will lve what you see on the 24" model. Every computer/model will have some sort of glitch you can read about on a forum. I'm not sure that the freezing issue affected many users, but it appears apple has repaired the problem. Why are you waiting again?
     
  11. photomel thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2007
    Location:
    Bend, OR
    #11
    Why am I waiting? Good question.......my hubby is still a Windows guy and is shocked that I have converted to preferring a Mac. He migh be equally shocked at the size of the 24" monitor.

    At this point I am hoping that Leopard will come pre-installed so I don't have to mess with it. Thanks! :)
     
  12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    Joined:
    May 19, 2002
    #12
    CompUSA and bestbuy are more likely to deal a bit with you on price, since they want to sell you Apple Care before you walk out the door.

    Which can get you a $50-60 savings for buying it then and there with the computer.
     
  13. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

    cohibadad

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2007
    #13
    We have 7 of the new iMacs (1 24" 2.8 and 6 20" 2.0s). None have the freezing problem (so I'm thinking the problem isn't very frequent) and work beautifully with Leopard. The 24" is really large and the 2.8 is noticeably faster than 2.0 (not to say the 2.0 is any slouch). The 20" is large enough and fast enough for most IMO (and the base model is really a great deal!)
     
  14. photomel thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2007
    Location:
    Bend, OR
    #14
    Ready, set, go......

    I think I have decided to go with the 20" 2.4ghz 500GB system. I really like the new iWork program too. Much cheaper than the Office Suite. I love the idea of the 24" monitor, but feel like I don't have enough room where I would be setting it up.......but it is tempting. :eek:
     

Share This Page