20" iMac or BlackBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nidserz, May 22, 2008.

1. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Okay Mac Geniuses I need you to come to my rescue.

I have been debating a Mac for about 7 months now and it seems like I'm waiting forever. I waited for the announcement in January for a new Macbook but since no re-design I jumped on a Macbook in January, but returned it shortly after only because I had no use for it (I was in the middle of a semester and didn't want to make the transformation and had a perfectly fine PC). Anyways I am going to take the plunge again this summer and this time hopefully for good.

Now I need you guys to help me decide between the two:
    1. 20" 2.66ghz 2gb 320gb iMac
    2. 13.3" 2.4ghz 2gb 250gb BlacBook
    3. Wait for Macbook possible refresh

Okay. With those being my options here is a little of what I intend to do with my purchase: msn, internet browsing, word processing/powerpoint/excel, and mild photoshop (i am no pro, just a passtime and cant tell the difference between colors, graphics or whatever). The only computer game I do play is Counter-Strike, but I can live without that (or use my PC laptop).

Now I have been using my brothers PC desktop and I love, love, love the big screen and that is what is luring me to the iMac. I am in love with the 20" iMac -- the 24" is way too big for me and as I said before I can't tell the difference between the screens so I think ill be fine with a 20". So if I go with the iMac I will stick with my PC laptop that currently lasts about 40 minutes on battery (I would then go on to purchase a new battery for my HP laptop).

My next option is the BlackBook. I've hard only good things about it. I had initially loved the WhiteBook but the dirtyness just drives me nuts (I know there are cleaning remedies but I for one eat around my computer, watch tv, etc -- i know its bad but what can you do when your in a rush or at the library, etc). The greasyness on the BlackBook also bugs me (I have black keys right now and they do shine but its less noticeable than the dirty whitebook or discoloration, etc and I heard just wiping it down helps...I should have done this earlier with my current laptop). I know I could attach an external for the BlackBook but I find it a little bit of a pain to unplug everything, the power cord, etc to take to class (we have to take our laptops to a majority of our classes), thats why I prefered a desktop and using my PC just for class.

Finally, the waiting game -- I have definitely been playing this game way too long. I love love love the aluminum look but cant justify the pro $$$ as its an overkill for what I do and dont want a 15" screen and the Air, well the $$$ isnt enough for me to jusity the portability (ideally I would if I could afford it, but Im a student and want to maximize the use of my laptop). I know nobody knows what Apple will come up with, LED screens? Speed bump? etc... it bugs me not to know a timeframe. I am almost on the verge of giving up on the waiting game, so if you have strong feels please convince me otherwise.

Thanks for listening/reading and sorry it got so long. You guys are amazing and I would love your advice as usual!

2. SamoanDude macrumors regular

Sounds like you will be surfing on a 20" iMac pretty soon :). I think you answered your own question by reading between the lines!:eek:

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I agree. Seems like the imac is the right way to go for you, and that you know it, deep down. ;)

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

For me the most important question is how important is portability to you? If you really want the ability to go with your computer than, the BlackBook would be the way to go. However you decide, I would wait until the WWDC in early June just to see if either gets updated.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That's not going to happen though.

The iPhone 2.0 is getting released and there is Mac OS X 10.6 to discuss at WWDC.

They aren't going to update a consumer laptop, especially when Intels chips won't be production ready until July/August.

6. nidserz thread starter macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

Hey guys. Thanks for the info!

Well as for portability I have an xp hp laptop that I have used for the last 2 years but the battery is dead - I can replace it.

I would really like to switch to OS and could go for the blackbook. I need a portable regardless (blacbook or current PC).

The main question is if I should go for an imac or a mini?

I would love to wait and I'm trying my best to do so LOL!

Thanks again guys and keep the advice coming, really appreciate it!

7. LotusLord macrumors 6502

LotusLord

The Capital of the Land of Cheese and Beer
    Now you're adding the mini as an option? Ok here's what I'd do. Keep the current laptop, and get the iMac. You can boot into windows on the iMac and run Counter Strike if you want, though you'd need to buy a copy of Windows.

8. mikethemovie macrumors member

Buy a copy of Windows? Are you nuts?! ;)

9. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

lol i find it funny when people say that its a hassle to use the macbook with an external screen because you have to unplug "stuff" its just 2 little plugs and go.... power plug and mini-dvi plug my god it takes .5 seconds to unplug the 2 and pick up the macbook. are people really that lazy? wow.

10. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

It is less powerful than the iMac.

11. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

huh? I'm talking about when people say its a hassle to unplug the macbook from an external monitor. I know the imac is more powerful, i should hope so its 10 times bigger and its a desktop.

12. nidserz thread starter macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

Lol ok its not lazy its just a hassle sometimes cuz I got class and then sometimes meeting etc. I guess it won't be too bad. The mini was just a thought so I could get 2 macs but whatever.

Thanks guys!