20" Imac Screen Brown From Angle

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ag227, Dec 10, 2007.

1. ag227 macrumors regular

im sure this has been on here a million times but i couldnt find it.... anyway.. i got a new 20" 2.4ghz alu imac to replace my macbook a couple of days ago from the apple store online. The screen looks brilliant from the front, but from extreme angles the apple grey coloured windows and all white go brown and it looks horrible... i no that i will never need to see it from that angle but even using it at a slight angle u can notice it very slightly. so what im asking is...

Is this normal with these screens? or is a defect that i should talk to them about and ask for a replacement as it is only 2 days old? it also has 1 dead pixel:(

thanks for your help

2. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

3. ag227 thread starter macrumors regular

normal on every single one? or normal on the majority of them?

4. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

It's normal on a majority of them. The one I checked out in the Apple Store was more yellow from an angle, but it was noticeable. It isn't something that would have deterred me from getting one, but many people have cited a lack of quality compared to the previous generation. I thought the screen looked great.

5. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

this is the result of the TN panel. It is feeble from any angle. You don't see this in the previous iMacs.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The OP had a MacBook, wouldn't it also have a TN film panel? Or is it more noticeable on the iMac due to the larger screen size?

7. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

The macbook looks just as bad. We have a few.

8. CBAviator macrumors 6502

The 20" has a TN panel. It's normal to look brownish/yellow from the sides and top/bottom. That's just the way it is. If you don't want the viewing angle discoloration, bump up to a 24"---it's got a different screen.

9. ag227 thread starter macrumors regular

ok thanks for all your help, it doesnt bother me really so il just stick with it.

@JayLenochiniMac and decksnap.... my macbook screen was floorless, not any discolouration at all. This turns a nice horrible shade of brown, even sitting here on the left hand side of the screen looking at itunes open on the right looks horrible.

Think i might actually look at some of them in the stores around here and see how bad they are compared to mine before i decide to keep it 100%

10. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

The macbooks don't so much turn brown as they do just invert all the colors. Even at the slightest angle the colors totally change. I can't watch a movie on one and see consistent color across the whole screen.

11. ag227 thread starter macrumors regular

thats very true, didnt think of it like that.. That this turns brown instead of inverts!