20" imac still considered great value? or not so much anymore..

solchitlins

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
Michigan
Hi,
thinking about getting a refurbished 20" imac.

Refurbished iMac 20-inch 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
20-inch glossy widescreen display
2GB memory
320GB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M with 256MB memory
Built-in iSight camera
$850
the above specs are probably adequate for what I'll be needing.

Is this still the best I can get in this price range?

or should I bite the bullet and get the new 21.5" or a refurbished 24"

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
Refurbs will always let you maximize your money. If you've got the extra cash for a 24", go for the extra real estate - you'll have a higher resale value on the other end.

solchitlins

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
Michigan
anyone know where I could see a side by side photo comparing the displays of a 20"/ 21.5" and 24"?

thanks Badger I saw that but I'm worried that if I bought from Macconnection and I got a bad screen "one with yellowing or flickering" or "high pitched noise" that it would be hard to return.

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
anyone know where I could see a side by side photo comparing the displays of a 20"/ 21.5" and 24"?

thanks Badger I saw that but I'm worried that if I bought from Macconnection and I got a bad screen "one with yellowing or flickering" or "high pitched noise" that it would be hard to return.
Dont be. macconnection is an excellent company with great customer service.

yellowing and flickering seems to be only limited to 27" screens.

If you see my sig, I have both the 20" and 24" AL iMacs, and have looked at the 21" and 27" many times. I dont "see" the difference between any of them.

However, the 20" iMac screen is a crappy TN panel. Most users wont notice the difference, but here in my design studio, you can see the crappiness of it everyday.