20" iMac volume levels

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Slinkington, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Slinkington macrumors member

Slinkington

Hi there,

I've had my iMac for about a year and half now, and I'm loving it :) There is one thing that I'm curious about though - the sound levels it is capable of. I'm in Windows XP via bootcamp a lot these days but when I shut down/restart in OS X I have to make sure the volume is no higher then 3 "blocks" as anything higher than that, I find is too loud when the startup chime sounds.

When I first set the iMac up, it was probably defaulted at half volume level - this was far too loud. I have no idea how loud it would be if I restarted at max level, to be frank I'd be too afraid to even try it!

One thing I'll mention is a month or two ago I downloaded an 8-bit sound plug-in for GarageBand - enabling this plug-in made my speakers pop LOUDLY. I'm pretty sure that did them no good, as when I was fiddling around with this (enabling/disabling the option) one time the speakers stopped working all together - restarting fixed this though.

So yeah, I assume I should avoid using that plug-in? And should my speakers really be so loud? I am using the built-in speakers. Thanks :)

Any comments? ^^

P.S. - Loving the "I'm a PC" adds on here. :/

2. flatfoot macrumors 65816

OK, I don't know about that GarageBand plug-in but maybe this is a solution to a booming startup sound:

There are several ways to disable it completely. I've had it that way on my Macs for years; it's just convenient when you don't have to bother family members or neighbours at night. What works for me is "StartupSound.prefPane" (see versiontracker.com).

Maybe this helps you...