Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fallofredm0nd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2023
*Will post adapters used and photos tomorrow if necessary*

I have a known working 20 inch aluminum Cinema Display connected to my 2018 Mini. Connection is USB C to 4k/60Hz MDP adapter to Apple MDP/DVI-I adapter.

I have already reset PRAM and SMC multiple times.

Still no video displays on the Cinema Display. It powers on, usb and firewire both work. Simply no video outputs to the display.

rm5

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Can you use an HDMI-DVI adapter? That worked for me back when I was using my 20-inch with my M1 MBA... maybe try one of those

fallofredm0nd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2023
Can you use an HDMI-DVI adapter? That worked for me back when I was using my 20-inch with my M1 MBA... maybe try one of those
Hmmm… definitely worth trying. Never hurts to have an adapter and not need it than need it and not have it. I’ll add that to the next Prime run. Ty

Reactions: rm5

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Can you use an HDMI-DVI adapter?

There were several threads about this after the 2018 Mini was released. IIRC, the consensus was that HDMI > DVI adapters generally didn't work properly because the HDMI port doesn't provide the correct voltage. The current wisdom at that time was to use a USB-C adapter of some sort, but apparently that isn't working for you.

Reactions: rm5

fallofredm0nd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2023
There were several threads about this after the 2018 Mini was released. IIRC, the consensus was that HDMI > DVI adapters generally didn't work properly because the HDMI port doesn't provide the correct voltage. The current wisdom at that time was to use a USB-C adapter of some sort, but apparently that isn't working for you.
Anyone have a known working direct c to SL DVI adapter

Or worst case scenario (for pricing concern only) will the club 3D DL C to DL DVI that works on the 30” also drive the lower res cinemas?

fallofredm0nd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2023
Anyone have a known working direct c to SL DVI adapter

Or worst case scenario (for pricing concern only) will the club 3D DL C to DL DVI that works on the 30” also drive the lower res cinemas?
Update: Solution found

Ended up trying a allegedly Mac compatible USB C to DVI Single Link Adapter from Amazon that cost me $10.99 w Prime shipping
IMG_1481.jpeg
IMG_1480.jpeg
IMG_1479.jpeg
IMG_1478.jpeg

Adapter is the Benfei B_164grey (B0768RFQ83)

Reactions: Boyd01
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.