20 inch iMac or 13 inch MacBook pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Stephen Dowling, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Stephen Dowling macrumors regular

Stephen Dowling

Hey everyone its me. AGAIN. I've made up my.....I've half-way made up my mind :). Should I get the refurbished 20 inch iMac or the 13 inch refurbished MacBook Pro?

2. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I have both and there both great machines but id go with the mbp.

3. Captain Planet macrumors 6502a

Captain Planet

Well, it all depends on what your needs are. I'm not aware of your current situation, but if you're a student or you have a tendency to travel a lot, either for work or whichever reason, than I might go with the MacBook Pro for portability. However, if you aren't the type that goes out that much and you don't feel the need to bring your Mac with you everywhere, perhaps the iMac would suit you better. Either one of them, both are good machines, but depending on how you'll be using them, that's for you to decide.

Personnally, my next purchase if probably a MacBook Pro (13 inch). I've had my 20" iMac for about two and a half years now, and I still love it. However, being a student and all, I sometimes would prefer having a MBP so I could carry it around campus and such. So, I'm saving up to get me one of those... ;)

4. jfriedman8 macrumors 6502

Have you thought of the 13 MBP and a cheap 20 inch display? Might be the best of both worlds for only $200 or so more.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It depends on how important portability is to you. If it is very important, get the MBP. If not, get the iMac.

6. JCP21 macrumors member

It all depends on what your going to do with it [​IMG]

7. Stephen Dowling thread starter macrumors regular

Stephen Dowling

I like having a laptop, but 90% of the time I use it at home on my desk. I also like how the iMac is designed, and that I can get more power for the same price. But, there is also that one word running through my head...Hackintosh.:rolleyes:

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I can recommend a hackintosh desktop, but a notebook may not be the best of ideas given the difficulties you can encounter. I don't think you go wrong with any choice, except a hackintosh notebook. Perhaps a iMac and netbook?

9. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

If the loss of portability doesn't bother you, get the iMac for the extra power. However if you'd like the ability for portability, go for the MBP.

Personally, I'd take the MBP if you aren't bothered about the little less power, as the MBP's are beautiful and great machines :)

10. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

from having both, the only time i use my mbp is when theres something decent on tv lol [​IMG] or when i'm doing school work, the majority of the time I am on my dads iMac 20"... what i reccomend, is the mbp, a mouse and keyboard, and a nice external monitor, it may not be as aesthetically pleasing as the imac, but it will do a similar job and give you the best of both worlds (minus a little bit of power)

11. JCP21 macrumors member

12. Andy348 macrumors 6502

Go for the MBP and save up money/splurge and buy a 20" ACD. Best option.