20-inch iMac or future 17 inch MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wonga1127, Mar 29, 2006.

  1. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

    Mar 16, 2006
    Wishing for a magic bus.
    Okay. I just got back from the Apple store. I was looking at the screen size for the 15 inch MBP and thought to myself. Personally, desktop real-estate is awesome, and I fell in love with the 30 inch ACD (way out of my league). I went over to look at the iMacs and found the 20" screen to be pleasantly perfect for my needs. But unfortunatly, *some* of my needs would favor a more portable approach. Should I wait for a 17" MBP to be announced or take the iMac?

    PS:Yes i know the MBP would have 3 less inchs than the iMac, but i love portability.
  2. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020


    Apr 12, 2005
    Moorestown, NJ
    Well considering there is absolutely NO information on when a 17'' MBP will be released, it depends on how badly you need a computer. If you are going to need it sooner rather than later, i'd say go with the iMac or a Refurb until the 17s are available. Even if the 17s come out, there may be a long wait such as was the case with the 15s.
  3. jsfpa macrumors regular


    Oct 26, 2003
    I have a 17" PB G4 and regretted getting it. For me it's just too big. But I must say, I don't use it as a combo desktop/portable. I think if I was going to use a laptop for both, I would go for a 15" and a separate monitor.
  4. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

    Jun 30, 2005
    Go with the iMac. Like said, you have no idea if a 17" MBP is even going to be released. Plus a 17" won't be what I would call easy to carry around with you. If portability is what you want, why not get an iMac Core Duo and then a second hand G3 iBook from eBay or something to use for basic stuff on the go?
  5. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a


    May 18, 2005
    If he is planning on getting the 17" PB he can afford to get a new Intel iMac and new iBook/Macbook and still be under the $3000+ that it would cost for a 17" MacBook Pro.
  6. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

    Feb 22, 2006
    East Coast, US
    Buy the 15" MBP and knock yourself out on an external LCD.
  7. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

    Jun 30, 2005
    Exactly my point.
  8. QCassidy352 macrumors G4


    Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    either imac + macbook or 15" MBP + external screen would be better options than a 17" MBP IMO, especially because we don't know how long you'll be waiting on the 17".
  9. dmachine macrumors member


    Oct 22, 2005
    I would reccomend going with the 15" and get an external monitor. I have a PowerBook G4 15" with a 20" ACD and I love that setup. I get the portability of the laptop and then when I get home I can hook it up to the ACD and have a larger screen. That would be my reccomendation.
  10. Alanl1, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014

    Alanl1 macrumors newbie

    Jul 28, 2014
    17" MacBook Pro

    I would rather have a 17 inch MacBook Pro, giving me complete access to everything whether I'm on the move or not, then save a slight bit of carrying wait. What matters is whether one has access to what one wants to use. Nothing truly compensates for the extra screen real estate. So I am waiting for a new 17 inch MacBook Pro, and will not purchase another Mac until one of those is made available. If not, eventually I will need to leave the Apple platform, which saddens me, since I've been using Mac since the beginning.
  11. richardw macrumors member

    Jul 13, 2011
    Likewise. I could probably settle for something slightly smaller with a true 1920x1200 (retina equivalent) display. No, the scaling on the current 15" retina MBP does not count.
  12. Umbongo macrumors 601


    Sep 14, 2006
    There isn't going to be a 17" Macbook Pro, this is from 8 years ago.
  13. thetechfixer macrumors 6502


    Apr 21, 2010
    This post is like 8 years old, why comment on it now.
  14. Alanl1 macrumors newbie

    Jul 28, 2014
    Because the issue is current for pro users--& 2012 when the 17 inch MB Pro was dropped isn't that long ago (not even in dog years!). The objective need persists. Those who have it tend to point out Apple's seeming abandonment of a core constituency.
  15. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502


    Jan 3, 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Get the 17" G5 Macbook Pro, it's a blast (from the past) :p

Share This Page