Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joshuaorange

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2023
I fail to understand how a Macbook with foldable screen would benefit the user experience... A foldable device that transitions between an iPhone and an iPad would make more sense to me...
If it has no crease and a stand, it could fit in a 11” MacBook Air bag and fold out to iMac size. Who wouldn’t want that?

FineWoven

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
As long as Apple actually presents this thing as having real-world advantages over the traditional alternative form factor, then I'll be all in as a day one early adopter. I just hope it isn't another overpriced, gimmicky hype machine like the Vision Pro that costs as much as a down payment on a new car for you to have the ability to..pretend you're on a mountain for 90 minutes during a flight? That seems worth $4,000+ to me 👍

Reactions: Surf Monkey

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Seems to me that Apple would love to dump MacOS in as many scenarios as possible. A laptop that runs iOS? The prospect probably makes Tim Cook drool.
They already did it... It's called the iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard.

I bought one and can assure this is Apple's not-so-subtle nod to the form factor you describe. Magic Keyboard pricing also confirms this is their intention.

And honestly it works great. Sure there are some use cases that still outright require a Mac, but for 90% of basic tasks this setup works phenomenally well. The other downside is that a surprising amount of iPad apps are 1:1 ported from the iPhone and don't fill the screen.

Overall there's a bright future for convertible iOS laptops, including this fold rumor.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
They already did it... It's called the iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard.

I bought one and can assure this is Apple's not-so-subtle nod to the form factor you describe. Magic Keyboard pricing also confirms this is their intention.

And honestly it works great. Sure there are some use cases that still outright require a Mac, but for 90% of basic tasks this setup works phenomenally well. The other downside is that a surprising amount of iPad apps are 1:1 ported from the iPhone and don't fill the screen.

Overall there's a bright future for convertible iOS laptops, including this fold rumor.

No doubt. My point is that Apple under Cook is moving away from MacOS as rapidly as possible.

Cirillo Gherardo

macrumors regular
May 9, 2024
It's literally what Apple is doing. Vision Pro is a developer device for an OS intended for more than just that one device. There's a reason there is no "virtual reality" mode in a Vision Pro. It's augmented reality or a simple blackout setting with a background.
Explain how Vision Pro is a developer device when you can't develop anything with it.

It's not automatically a developer device just because there is barely any consumer interest.

Cirillo Gherardo

macrumors regular
May 9, 2024
No doubt. My point is that Apple under Cook is moving away from MacOS as rapidly as possible.
Moving away? No. That is inaccurate. The Mac has gotten the biggest boost in its entire existence under Tim Cook by way of Apple Silicon and rapid iterations.

Instead of moving away, Apple has introduced other products that don't use macOS because they are more attractive to more people. Most people do not need macOS, so products are made for them. But a core group of people will always need macOS, and there is no "moving away" from it.

• Haha

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Explain how Vision Pro is a developer device when you can't develop anything with it.

It's not automatically a developer device just because there is barely any consumer interest.
I'm of course using my own opinion on what it is - and is why I won't buy it. You can develop for it, not "with it". It's practically a beta device in my eyes, it exists to start a platform.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
True. They even built the AVP to help speed this up, which is saying something!

Apple has acknowledged that the system level architecture on macOS is not meant to be replicated or replaced by iOS. So as much as he wishes Apple could replace all Mac sales with iOS devices, even he knows this is still quite a ways away.

Cirillo Gherardo

macrumors regular
May 9, 2024
I'm of course using my own opinion on what it is - and is why I won't buy it. You can develop for it, not "with it". It's practically a beta device in my eyes, it exists to start a platform.
LOL the fact that someone who is developing for Vision Pro needs a Vision Pro to test the thing they developed does not make it a developer device.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Wow. Even for rich people $100,000 is a lot to spend on a 65" TV. Also who would have thought that people wouldn't be breaking the doors down to be able to roll up their TV?
Nobody including LG thought people would actually buy this. It essentially was a proof of concept, that technically was available for retail sale, but of course no retailers actually had it either.

JohannesO

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2022
Please make it like a Macbook Pro with a keyboard, but with a screen on top of it to make it portrait.
Imagine this in an airplane 😲

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
That bottom half better be touch sensitive. It would also be nice to put the doc down there too as an option. But with a Touch Bar like 4 times as tall or more, that would be a half way point from needing a whole keyboard that has LCD's. The bottom part would have buttons like an iPad and interactive controls for apps. Or just be a doc for menus for certain apps. But with apples way of ditching ideas, I don't know how many developers are going to change the way their apps work to make it useful. They are not going to make their Mac version way better than their windows versions even if that strip was useful. Playing a movie with movie controls off the screen is nice though. Full screen apps would work way better with something like that.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Seems to me that Apple would love to dump MacOS in as many scenarios as possible. A laptop that runs iOS? The prospect probably makes Tim Cook drool.

Totally locked down and with HIDEOUSLY obscene markups for memory and storage.

Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 10.35.31.png
150721_tim_cook_laughs.jpg

jb310

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2017
When I heard "20 inch MacBook screen," I thought "YES! 🎊🍾"

...the folding part was a bit of a let-down. 😣

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.