20" Intel Imac Conversion

Discussion in 'iMac' started by heavymellow, Dec 19, 2010.

1. heavymellow macrumors newbie

My old 20" imac has been on the fritz for a while, burned out hard drive, failing mother board etc. The screen in the unit is still fine however, and now that I was getting a new imac I thought of a little project for myself and was wondering if anyone had any success.

I was going to gut the old machine, modify it as I need to install a mini-itx motherboard and found a couple with lvds connectors on the board. I plan on replacing the PSU, and also completely scrapping the optical drive, as it won't be needed. I've looked up advice on this issue and have had limited success. The forums seem to point to the lvds as being a problem.

Is there anyone who has attempted this and how succesful have they been. Most forums seem to be of the general conclusion just buy a new monitor, but the reason I want to do it this way is, a) project, to see if I can, b) there is nothing wrong with the screen, and c) I want to mount it in the kitchen, just to provide recipes and so I might take notes, and it's a perfect all in one design.

I'm hoping someone else has attempted something similar and can give some advice.

2. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

Good luck finding a video card that can drive the LCD directly.