20 kernel panics so far today

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ajdb9, Sep 19, 2016.

1. ajdb9 macrumors member

Hi guys.

Early 2011 MBP. No recent history of issues, and no recent updates or changes.

Attached is a screenshot of one of the panic reports.

Does anyone have any ideas on What might be causing this?

Thank you!

Alex

Attached Files:

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

The kernel panic mentions the GPU. It could well be graphics failure as yours has a repair program: https://www.apple.com/uk/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Additionally, you might as well verify the HDD is OK by quickly checking the SMART data. Should just take a minute to check: https://cloudfront.volitans-software.com/smartutility322.zip

You can also restart the machine with 'reopen windows when logging back in' unticked, on the off chance there's a background process reopening that's causing the issue (highly unlikely, but a good habit to restart with this unticked anyway).

Do you have an Apple Store local to you?

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Highly likely that it is the GPU, as it is normal to fail for that model. Go get it fixed for free at an Apple service center.

4. BaggieBoy macrumors 6502

BaggieBoy

My 2012 rMP was getting the same a few months ago, Apple replaced the mainboard FOC (AppleCare had expired). Been running fine ever since.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP:

Get yourself and the MacBook to a brick-n-mortar Apple store without delay.

There is a FREE motherboard replacement program for 2011 MacBook Pros with GPU problems.

But DON'T WAIT and hem and haw about it. Just do it!

6. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The dGPU, as mentioned, Apple has a repair program for this, though I believe its expiring at the end of the year, so get it fixed to keep you going for a while but definitely consider getting a new computer

8. tom438 macrumors newbie

I'm going to agree with it being the GPU. The dGPU on my late 2011 MBP failed recently and had the logic board replaced under their quality assurance program which I believe covers you for 5 years from the date of purchase for that particular fault.

Anyway, after the first repair I started having similar issues to you. Kernel panics, random restarts or just locking up completely. Took it to Apple yesterday and they said thats what it is, so off for another Logic board.

Edit: Sorry as pointed out it is covered till the end of this year.

9. leman macrumors 604

Yep, I'm quite sure that its the GPU. AppleMuxControl is the driver controlling the hardware switch between the two GPUs on your machine.