20$ Mac Mini G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by YodaPowerMac, Dec 28, 2013.

1. YodaPowerMac macrumors newbie

I just picked up my first Mac Mini ! 20$ I have always wanted to get a Mini and I could not pass on the price. I am new to posting on this website but I have been visiting for a couple of years !
    The specs on the Mac mini are 1.42 GHz, 1gb ram, SuperDrive, Bluetooth and AirPort.
    I have a couple other power pc's but I dont use them (B&W G3, G4) but I want to start using this mac mini because it can site on my desk and not take up room and looks good next to my iMac...
    I already have started looking at downloading more web browsers and updated all the software. Now I am wondering what kind of programs I could get for this mini and what everyone else is doing with there computers? I am a student and do a lot of writing on the computer and math ! and I have a lot of photos and videos so I might be using this computer for some extra storage maybe.
    Any Ideas would be great

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Congratulations on the Mac! That's a great price!

No suggestions right now, but I'm sure you'll get some response.

3. jrsx, Dec 28, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2013

jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

For a web browser, take up TenFourFox for a ride. It's pretty fast, modern, and still gets updates! It is basically a port of the modern Firefox over to the PowerPC platform. Also, try this site. Everything good for PPC here! btw, all credit goes to Macrumors user gavinstubbs09, the creator of the site.

4. ifrit05 macrumors regular

ifrit05

$20? Wow, lucky!

TenFourFox for internet, MacTubes for youtube, Perian for QuickTime/VLC, Onyx, AppleJack utility, Transmission, MacTracker, Monolingual, and The Unarchiver come to mind.

5. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

TenFourFox, BitTorrent, MacTracker and VLC are my most used apps on PPC! I had a mini G4 similar to yours and it was a great machine.

6. CharlieFrown macrumors newbie

Nice bargain, congrats. If I were you I would install MorphOS on one partition. Since there's no CorePlayer around you could still play HD video content on this little Mac.

Regarding Perian/VLC and such, well, been there done that. They are fine when it comes to files up to 480p, anything better gives my PB G4 1.5 Ghz killer workout it won't handle! Jerkiness, full throttle fans.

7. ifrit05 macrumors regular

ifrit05

Note that MorphOS is free to download, but after 30 mins it will slow down the machine by up to 50% until you buy a license.

Not saying MorphOS isn't amazing though...

8. three macrumors 6502a

three

I'd recommend upgrading this to Leopard if you haven't done so.