20" or 24" iMac for graphic design student

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kdmcclung, Aug 14, 2007.

1. kdmcclung macrumors newbie

I'm going to be starting at my college in september to study graphic design. I am planning on either getting the 20" or 24" iMac, however here is the problem.

Is the 2.8 extreme processor going to be that much faster than the 2.4 in the 20"? I already have an external monitor that I plan on using photoshop in anyways so the screen size doesn't matter that much I just wonder if the 400 mhz is worth the extra $500. I already plan on getting 4gb of memory so the extra $500 would really help out especially since I need to get CS3 but with the buy a mac and photoshop deal they have going it doesn't seem like a real big deal.

I can go up to $2400 which is enough for a mac pro however I find it to be overkill since I'm not gonna be doing video editing work aside from maybe sometime down the road with just sd video. Not to mention I play video games in my spare time now alot since my gf has moved over an hour away for her college. So buying a video card for my pos windows computer seems smarter than getting one of the crappy graphics cards they have in the mac pros.

Any help would be amazing, thank you.

2. giganten macrumors 6502a

I would take the 20" and use the money for CS3. Hand have fun.

3. jonnos macrumors regular

the only thing stopping me from purchasing an imac is the panel being used in the screens. if you dont know much about lcds and panels you should read info about it. colour accuracy and such is very important in our line of work i guess. that is why im more interested in a macbook pro and a cinema display or something cheaper like a 30" dell lcd which uses a S-IPS panel like the apple cinema displays.

4. giganten macrumors 6502a

Thats true. but what is wrong whit the display in the iMac? Is it because it is glossy?

I did go for the MBP myself and are now thinking of buying me a 20" cinema display.

5. jonnos macrumors regular

the 20" uses a TN panel which isnt really great for for professionals. im not sure about the 24" though.

6. IEatApples macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

This may be true, but as he said:

So, the iMac should probably do just fine! :)

7. jonnos macrumors regular

8. BioChron macrumors regular

BioChron

If you need to save money, go for the 20", but if you can afford it, go all out with the 24". :) More processing power is always nice.

- Daniel

9. Igantius macrumors 65816

From the various tests I've seen of the Extreme processors, you would get a very nifty speed boost. However, you would be more than fine with a Core 2 Duo - and I think if you are going to spend that extra $500, a refurb Mac Pro would be a better use for that level of money, although I do appreciate what you've said about that route (i.e. overkill, graphics).

10. jonnos macrumors regular

since your going to have another monitor connected. will a 20" or 24" imac handle running a 23" or 30" monitor connected to it?

11. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

12. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

They will handle a 23 inch monitor but not the 30 inch.

13. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I was a design student on a G3 iMac (about 6 years ago). Not the best solution, but it worked. I'd say to forget the extra CPU speed – instead get ram.

14. kdmcclung thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you guys for your quick answers. I think I'm gonna go with the 20" since photoshop is gonna be something I should get and don't feel like trying to get a crack for. Also is macmall gonna be the cheapest for third party ram?

15. giganten macrumors 6502a

Yep, more ram is better.

16. wichard macrumors newbie

I would check with your school before you buy a desktop. The art school (I was a graphic program there) is making everyone buy macbook pros or macbooks. For our school many of the graphic classes are in just classrooms with wireless and a printer in it. I hope this makes sense, my idea is check with the school.

Plus I found myself doing my design homework with other people in there apts. or even outside.