20" or 24" iMac.....really worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by photomel, Nov 19, 2007.

1. photomel macrumors member

Is the extra $300 worth it? I am debating between the 20" 2.4 and the 24" 2.4 iMac. I will be doing some graphics work, but mainly internet, music, and some photography work. I'm not convinced the extra money is worth it?

Anybody have an opinion on this?

Thanks!

2. jablko macrumors member

I'd think the $300 is worth it just for the much better monitor. It's not just bigger, the 20" is a TN panel and the 24" is a PVA panel. You can look up what that means, but basically if you want to do photo editing or graphic design, the 20" inch has a substandard monitor. If you have a chance to see them up close, move to the side of the screen and see how the colors shift. It's really not good for anything that requires exact color output.

Also, when you look at the cost of equivalent monitors, compare an low to midrange 20" panel to a decent 24" screen like the Dell 2407 or Samsung 244t. $300 dollars is a very reasonable margin.

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I'm about to buy a 24" and had the same debate. For a machine that is going to last me several years, the extra $$ was a no-brainer. The 24" is an excellent machine and the displays is great. Can't wait to get it. :cool:

4. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

As a Graphic Designer and photographer, using ID CS3 and Photoshop CS3. I find that the 24" screen is WONDERFUL. I would also recommend maxing the RAM to 4GB. RAM is very very cheap right now.

I just purchased the 24" Extreme model and could not be happier. Also, I can never get why people say go off to the side and view the colors!??! Huh, don't most people sit in FRONT of the LCD?? maybe its just me...lol! :D

5. jonswan macrumors regular

I have the 2.0 and its 20 inch screen is perfect, especially for viewing photos. The 24 inch is a ridiculous size, in my opinion.

6. Cloudane macrumors 65816

Cloudane

Really it depends on your priority. For me, it was size (preferring the smaller model).

If colours are really important though, or you think you'll otherwise be distracted by the screen (generally greys/light blues) being lighter towards the bottom, go for the 24" for the better technology in the panel.

7. admiraldennis macrumors regular

It's completely up to you. Is the 24" display worth the extra money? I think so, but not if you prefer a smaller footprint and don't need the extra space / nicer panel.

8. hartwork macrumors member

I also have a 20-inch (2.4GHz) and love it. I opted for the smaller size because the 24-inch was just too big, I literally had to move my head from side to side which I wasn't used to.

If I was in your position, I would use the extra money for maximum RAM. The 24-inch is really really big.

9. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

If you will keep the machine several years, remember... not so long ago folks were posting the following:

"Should I get the 15" or 17" display? The 17" really seems bigger than I need, I think only true graphics professionals need such a huge display."

10. Southern macrumors regular

Southern

May I suggest you sit futher away from the screen, good sir? [:D]

In all seriousness, I have one of the 20" Aluminium iMacs and I love it to bits. I can see why people go for the 24" version though for an even bigger screen, but I think this is only because I am used to the 20" screen size and going back to even 17" feels restrictive.

One thing I will say about the screens on the iMacs is that the viewing angle on them is quite small. That is to say, if you're looking from the side of the screen, you don't see much detail. Otherwise, the glossy screens are easy to get used to and to have a PC all done up the way an iMac is made makes using a computer so much more refined*.

*Wires all over my desk? What wires? [:)]

11. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

When i first got my computer we were debating whether to get a 14" or a 15". No point getting a 15", they are only for professionals :D

12. mothergoose45 macrumors member

I am typing on a Alum. 24" I got as soon as they came out. Being my first mac I love it. I would never ever go back to a 20" screen. I might look big when you unpack it, but after a couple of days you will find it really nice.
    Go 24" if you have the $. I also havethe2.4 and it's plenty fast, doing everything you will be doing.

13. Rootman macrumors 6502

I just got the 24 and passed the 20 down to my assistant. When I use her 20 (or my son's 17), I can't believe I ever thought it was good. It looks grainy. The 24 is so much better in quality.

14. Southern macrumors regular

Southern

Looks like Bigger = Better when screen size is concerned ;)

15. rotlex macrumors 6502a

The extra bucks is WELL worth it. When I was trying to make this decision a month ago, I was leaning toward the 20. I kept looking, and reading about the two, and different opinions. I decided to bite the bullet and say that bigger is better. Its. :)

I also thought it was going to be too big for my work area. I was pleasantly surprised that it looks and fits just fine. The only problem is, it's now dwarfs the 20" ACD I have connected in dual monitor mode, LOL.

So go for the 24.....it's gorgeous.

16. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

Ordered one for our display room, 24" with wireless keyboard and mouse...

The new wireless keyboard (no numeric pad) does look slightly... "dorky" in front of the 24" iMac!!!

17. schreck macrumors regular

Fantastic point. I remember when my family got a computer a year and a half ago, and I was pretty pumped about getting the 17 inch display. It makes you wonder what the standard will be within the next five years.

18. RossoA macrumors 6502

RossoA

"Introducing the new All-in-One iMac, available in 60" and 75" models. Featuring Intel 16-Core 3TB Processor and 25GB RAM. Starting at just $1099."

A man can dream, can't he? :D

19. hartwork macrumors member

That's a good point, but screen sizes can only get so big before it becomes impractical.

20. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

This is true - in 5 years are we all going to be using 46" displays with our Macs? :p ;) Just hooking up our computers to our TVs, is that the plan? ;)

21. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I think the 24" is worth the extra money, but I am planning on using mine to watch movies. I just ordered it last week and it shipped today. Can't wait.

22. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I just ordered a 20" iMac. I remember a few years back looking at a g4 iMac when the 20" came out and saying to myself thats almost to large to have on a desk. The 24 " is beautiful and I can see it for lots of folks but I just didnt need all that and the 20" is greener. 200 watts max vs 280.:D every bit helps on the power bill. I dont know how some feel about refurbished but its a great time to get a new refurbished iMac with all the units apple had with gpu problems. Just a few points.

23. ivan1234 macrumors regular

the 24'' is definitely worth the bit extra, apart from the superior internals, the extra screen space makes a huge difference. Its the perfect size for a monitor imo. :D