20" or 24" iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CrazyChihuahua, Mar 4, 2008.

1. CrazyChihuahua macrumors newbie

Hey folks. I'm pretty much set on getting an iMac, the 2.4GHz version. However, what I'm not sure about is what size monitor to get. I went to check out both of them in person today, and while the 20" is nice, as I imagined it would be, the 24" was something else. It now has me considering getting the extra 4 inches.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with both or any insight they can give. The 24" seems like it'd be nice, but I'm not sure if it'd really be necessary, as the 20" is big as it is.

Also, anyone know where I can find the exact dimensions of, including the case (not just the screen), of the 24"? I found them for the 20", but can't seem to get it for the 24".

Thanks for any help you can give.

2. Queso macrumors G4

If you can afford the 24" and have the space for it, that's the one you should go for. The screen is a better quality than the one on the 20", with a much better viewing angle and less height-related colour distortion.

Not that it bothers me, but some people are more sensitive to it than I am.

3. IC3D macrumors regular

IC3D

I've seen and worked with both, I'd go for the 24".

4. CrazyChihuahua thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, sounds like the 24" is worth it then. I may have to go with that one, as this will be my everyday computer anyways.

5. Pees330 macrumors 6502

I would personally go for the 24" because you will really like the extra real estate. The bigger screen is a great bonus and you don't want to be second guessing yourself if you get the 20".

6. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

As another poster noted, the actual screen QUALITY is better, regardless of size. You can see this if you open up the same picture on each of them in the apple store - the 24" is much sharper with better color.

7. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

Yeah it seems like the 24in. is good for you. I really like it! The screen is fantastic!

8. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

9. CrazyChihuahua thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, unlike asking if I should go 2.0GHz or 2.4GHz here, where there was a split decision, this seems to be a resounding "24!". I do have the money, and if the actual quality is better, that definitely makes it more appealing. I thought it was just a better viewing angle.

Thanks for the insight folks.

10. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

20" is plenty for most but if you like the 24" get it. Lots of screen real estate.

11. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

I would definitely go for the 24". As others have stated the screen is better quality for one and the extra screen real estate comes in very handy for apps like photoshop....

12. mkaake macrumors 65816

I'll be the dissenting opinion here. I was going through the same decision process (though I'm holding out for a few more weeks before I buy), and I finally decided on the 20". The geek in me really wanted the 24, and after everything I'd heard on here about the 20" screen quality, I expected to be let-down by it in person.

Well, I finally went and checked them both out in the Apple Store. Wow. That was an eye opener - just like when I got my current eMac several years back (and I realized that with what I was doing with a computer back in those days, I really didn't need a new G5, I just wanted a G5), I realized that while the 24" is nice, the 20" is really nice too. And the 24" is really too large for the desktop space that I'll be using it on - that was the big one for me. Combined with the idea that if I decided down the road I wanted more screen real estate I could pick up an external monitor and still come in cheaper than the 24", and I decided to go the route of the 20".

And as for the 20" screen quality issues, I know they exist, but if you're not looking for them, they're fantastic. I comfort myself with the knowledge that I'll never be using the iMac while sitting two feet off center relative to the screen, or sitting on the floor...

Anyway, just some thoughts. The 24" is very nice, but in some cases, it really is overkill.

13. pcuser2 macrumors member

If you have enough budget for a 24" imac, why not get it?

14. CrazyChihuahua thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that mkaake. I've realized that I do have the money for the 24", and the main reason I wanted the iMac was because I wouldn't have to worry too much about updating anything. Also, they both did look very nice, but I think I'm too much of a sucker for the 24" I think, after seeing it. Also, my desk space is fairly large, but is mostly cluttered right now by a tower and a big CRT monitor, so there's plenty of room for the 24" (possibly after moving some overhead stuff, not sure).

Thanks for all of the input folks!

15. angus65 macrumors newbie

I am currently saving for an iMac as well (switching from Windows).
    I will HAVE :D to get the 24'' iMac because my wife says that any new computer must be mounted to keep it off the kitchen desk. Unfortunately Apple only provides a VESA mount for the 24'' iMacs.

16. aethelbert macrumors 601

The 24" is worth the extra money, but if you don't have the space (like me), the 20" will have to do. Both are great computers regardless of screen size.

17. CrazyChihuahua thread starter macrumors newbie

Alrighty, I went with the 24". I figure, I have the space, the money, and it looks so damn pretty.

Thanks for the input folks. I look forward to get my new Mac in 2-4 days to ship plus 8 days for ground shipping...

18. mkaake macrumors 65816

Make sure you post some pics when you get it set up :D

19. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

Westsider 4 Mac

24 for sure

:apple::apple:Load up on RAM and HD size and ride with the 24 inch.

20. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

It's not just bigger, it's better. The 24" has an 8-bit panel, the 20" has a 6-bit panel.