20'' or 24'' imac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stevoeddz, Dec 5, 2008.

1. stevoeddz macrumors member

ill be buying an imac later this month. im having a hard time deciding between the 20'' 2.66ghz and 24'' 2.8ghz. Money is tight for me. so id like to know if the extra 4'' and the faster processor are worth the extra $300.

2. weezer160 macrumors regular

In my opinion, it comes down to whther or not you really need the 4" like you said. Casual users probably don't, in my experience, however those who use their computers for a specific task might benefit from the larger screen.

Also, most real world test show there is not a large gain by a marginally faster clocked machine. In that case, it's likely that the 20" us more cost effective for most people. You have to decide for yourself.

I was in a similar situation, but because I use my machine for photo apps like Aperture, although casually, it might have better for me to have gone with the 24" and larger HD. Maybe next time.

3. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Trust me, the 4" makes a HUGE difference, at least for me. I'd go for the 24" unless you are working on a budget, which isn't exactly the best way to shop for an Apple product. :p

Hope this helps with ur decision!!

4. stevoeddz thread starter macrumors member

is there anything else that the 24'' can do but the 20'' cant?

5. var macrumors newbie

It took me over a year to get my 24" and I'm glad I did! I made a lot of trips to the store looking at both. The 20 is not the same quality as the 24 and it also distorts when looking at a side view. If money is a huge issue buy a refurb and get the 24. You won't be sorry!:D:D

6. descartes macrumors 6502

the bigger screen makes a world of difference. once you have used the 24" it is hard to go back smaller. the extra processing speed is just a bonus.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

A 24" is much bigger and better. Some ppl say the actual LCD panel is much better than that of the 20".

8. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

QFT. The 24" display is just staggeringly good. I've got a 22" monitor at home, and every time I come home to it after using a 24" iMac it just seems tiny and dull. :(

Were it me, I would shell out the extra for the 24" display.

9. omegaphil6 macrumors 6502

I had a 17" white G5 iMac, a 20" G5 White iMac and now a 24 inch alum iMac and the 24" is friggin AMAZING! the screen is G O R G E O U S! nuff said

10. omegaphil6 macrumors 6502

also the LCD in the 20" is NOT the same quality as the 24" , the 24 blows the 20 out of the water. HANDS DOWN

11. stevoeddz thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the help guys!!

i found a Refurbished iMac 24-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo on apples site for 1300$$$. i think im gonna go with that and upgrade it to 4gb of ram.

do the refurb imacs appear brand new like the replacement refurb iphones or do they have any marks from the previous owner?

also is 2.4ghz vs 2.8ghz gonna make a lotta difference?
    im gonna be doing some work on FCE and playing some WoW.

12. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

congrats on the purchase. the processor speed between the 2.4 you got and the 2.8 is noticeable, but the 2.4 is still a very capable machine. I think you'll be very happy with it.

13. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Congrats! You'll be happy you sprang for the 24 when using FCE... I do some editing on a 24er, and it's better than the dual-monitor setups I used to use. IMO there's no better platform for casual/intermediate editing.

14. stevoeddz thread starter macrumors member

15. danny_w macrumors 601

I think the 24" refurb is a great buy; it is the same machine that I use everyday at work and I love it. Personally I would much rather have the wonderful 24" with the IPS display than have a faster 20" with the TN display. You will really notice the difference and it will be worth it if you work with it a lot. I have a TN display at home that works fine for me, but I wouldn't want it for all day use.

16. JTTech macrumors member

JTTech

I think the 24" looks incredible. So much more space to have multiple windows open.

Have you thought about saving for another month or two until you have the extra $300?

17. descartes macrumors 6502

do the refurb imacs appear brand new like the replacement refurb iphones or do they have any marks from the previous owner?

all my refurbs have looked just like new save for the brown box.

18. descartes macrumors 6502

great point on diff in quality of screens in addition to extra real estate. 24" all the way.

19. danny_w macrumors 601

I have only bought one refurb iMac (17" G5) but it was perfect in every way. If it weren't for the brown box and the refurb serial number I would never know that it was not new.

20. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

I find the 24" overwhelming, with the size of the chin and stand, it seems quite a heft on your desk.

21. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

It really depends how tight your money is. The 24" will be a better investment in the long run I think. As programs get more advanced the higher resolution will be nice. The screen is also far superior. I think in most cases I would get the 24" but go see both, because some people don't like the 24" screen and think it's too big.

22. danny_w macrumors 601

That's a good suggestion. A few years ago I offered to get my wife the 20" or 24" iMac (the 24" had just come out) but she preferred the 17" so that is what I got her.

23. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    I'm waiting for QUAD CORE, 3GHZ all in a 24" screen, come on January:D

24. stevoeddz thread starter macrumors member

i think ill just save a couple hundo since hopefully the new macs are around the corner. :D