20" or more Display for my Macbook in College

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by snowboarder943, Jun 16, 2010.

1. snowboarder943 macrumors regular

What would be some examples of displays, at least 20 inches big for college. It'd be connecting to my Early 2009' white macbook. I do a lot of photo work so take that for what it's worth. I'm guessing at least being 1080 or more would be best. Thanks!

2. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

I would recommend a Dell Ultrasharp monitor. At that resolution, you'd probably want a 24". A 20" would most likely have a resolution like 1680 x 1050.

3. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

The maximum resolution on your machine is 1920 x 1200. Get at least a 24" monitor that does that resolution. Any smaller, and the text will be uncomfortably small to read.

For a 24" sRGB (non-wide gamut) S-IPS panel, maybe consider the HP ZR24w. It's got a matte screen, too, unlike Apple's horrible new mirror-like glass screen 24" Cinema Display. Oh, the ZR24w is half the price of the ACD.

4. snowboarder943 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I've decided I want the 1920x1200 to more vertical space for better workspace with editing pictures and whatnot. I was looking at the Dell U2410 or the HP ZR24w like you both suggested. They are both IPS. Are there any displays that don't have a huge ugly bezel around the edge?

5. Vitr macrumors member

Vitr

You may be interested in knowing that the U2410 is $250 off today. Check out cnet for product reviews. They're usually pretty good.

6. snowboarder943 thread starter macrumors regular

Really?! Where is it being sold at? I might just have to purchase today and keep it until the start of college this august.

7. Vitr macrumors member

Vitr

It's on the Dell Canada site. Just checked the US one, but the savings is significantly less.

8. snowboarder943 thread starter macrumors regular

9. snowboarder943 thread starter macrumors regular

Should I get a glossy display like a ViewSonic or still get the Del U2410 which is a matte-ish display?

10. turugara macrumors regular

I would recommend a matte-ish display only because I tend to print my photos on a matte-ish photo paper. Also, if I have a window shade open somewhere or a light on the reflection is nearly non-existent on a matte-ish display as opposed to my super glossy MBP display.

Btw, where do you go to school in PA? I'm also go to school in PA.

11. snowboarder943 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! I'm probably going with the Dell U2410. I'm going to Chesnut Hill College in Philadelphia. You?

12. turugara macrumors regular

Oh yeah? I'm finishing up school at UPenn in Philly also. Let me know how it goes. I do a lot of fashion photography around the Philly area.

13. snowboarder943 thread starter macrumors regular