20" vs 24" iMac - Why the snobbery?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AppleFan360, Jun 26, 2008.

1. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I've noticed that whenever someone want's to buy an iMac, the immediate response on this forum is to "Get the 24" iMac". This is even after the user mentions that they are on a tight budget with limited desk space. Another response is that the 20" iMac screen is crappy.

Whenever I see responses like this, it disturbs me because it seems like there is a certain snobbish mentality among 24" iMac owners. It's like if you don't own a 24" iMac, you are a low life.

The 24" iMac is a great machine. It's fast and the display is fanstastic. I will probably own one someday. Right now I have the 20" iMac only because I wanted to test the Apple waters and was on a budget at the time of purchase. It does what I need for now and that's all I can ask.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it would be nice for forum members here to simply tell the user what is right for their situation rather than advising them to go hog wild on a 24" iMac forcing them to go overbudget and well beyond what they really need.

I must admit though, I do see a 24" iMac or possibly a MacPro in my future. The entire Apple computer line is excellent.

2. ADent macrumors 6502a

The 24" iMacers also yell at us Mac mini owners too.

They tout that it is twice as fast (or whatever) and the video card is 100x as fast, but they don't seem to care that my 24" mini cost me $1000+ less than their machine and I have additional flexibility.

3. Darkjedip macrumors newbie

::Shrugs::

I'm not sure. Even thought the 20" is "technically inferior" I compaired the two side by side at the mac store and didn't see that much of a difference. Granted i'm not an artitst or anything, so I guess my layman's opinion doesn't count. (My brother is an artist and uses that in similar arguments all the time).

Anywho, my opinion is if you like it, then it doesn't matter; I love my 20" iMac.

4. The Hammer macrumors regular

20" vs 24" iMac - Why the snobbery?

I've seen the 20" and am holding off purchasing hoping for a better video card within the next 6 months. For me the 2.66mhz with the 20" screen is just fine. The 24" takes up to much real estate.

5. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

I don't think it's always snobbery, I actually ended up paying less to get a refurbished white 20" iMac because I just didn't like the panel quality on the 20" aluminum models at all after seeing them in person. Cost wasn't really an issue, I simply wanted a 20" iMac instead of a 24" model because it was the perfect size for where I wanted to put it.

There is nothing wrong though with getting a 20" aluminum iMac either if that's your preference, it just wasn't mine is all. But that's why we have several options and choices, that way most everyone's personal preferences can be satisfied.

6. Trouble1 macrumors member

You'll never stop it.

Something characteristic about forums, this one included, is that you have the regualr lurkers/trollers who tend to respond without much thought put into it, don't answer the OP's question(s), hi-jack the thread or tend to be sarcastic and stupid...god forbid you should make a typo.
    I've learned to ingnore and weed out those responses and go with the more intelligent ones. I often will PM someone who has givin me some good info or I have read some of their input in another thread, taking it out of the forum and avoiding the Richard Cabazas.

You actually responded intelligently to my question a 20" set up with a external monitor. Other simply typed 24". The 20" is a great computer to someone (like me) coming off of anything smaller than a 20", on a budget, short on space, etc.

Based on my own gethering of info to include searching and reading many threads, I selected the refurb 24" 2.8, 320gb (newer Penryn) and I will still get an external 24" monitor, a external HD and..., I can actually afford it. I prefer the ability to see two pages side by side and full length (or more so).

Don't get too disturbed with what you read here. There are always going to be those who don't get it. They exist, even in private forums, it's what makes forums so unique and a great source of info inspite of.

One of my favorite forums is unmoderated and full of intelligent (and brutal) folks who have seriously helped me with; motorcycling, bicycling and computers.

Anyway, I agree with you. If you respond to a question, stay on topic, you should respond with some direct knowledge, try being as helpful to the OP as you can and provide other sources if you can.
    There are many in here that are extremely helpful, you just have to weed.

7. kabunaru Guest

The 24" iMac owners do think they are better than 20" iMac owners and even Mac Mini owners. It's all based on pride. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I do notice this trend on MacRumours but it doesn't bother me that much. I do even have a 20" iMac and I like it a lot. Don't see why don't the people like the 20" iMac that much...
    Perhaps they think it's too small for them, while I think it's a little big for me but I can handle it.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

wow at this thread

for all the time i spend on here, i have not noticed this trend

9. nando2323 macrumors 6502a

Mine is bigger then yours so there, yeah I might be trying to compensate for something but so what it's still bigger then yours :eek:

VVVVVV

10. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Ever heard the saying "The bigger, the better?"

Yeah, well that's how people think on the interwebs.

11. nout72 macrumors regular

nout72

It all depends what Mac you owned before you switched to the new alu iMac.
    I went from the iMac Bondi and the occasional use of a MacBook to a 20 inch, mainly because I felt the 24 inch is too big and I still do.

Apart from the gradient, which is obvious in the beginning when you use the iMac's default colorprofile (a horrible profile!), I couldn't be happier since I have successfully calibrated the screen.
    The viewing angle isn't that bad also, I very seldom use the iMac when standing or sitting from a less than ideal sitting position.

But when you're coming from a white iMac or Mac mini with Cinema Display the new 20 inch screen could be a big disappointment.
    It is a step down, definitely.

The 24 inch is the better choice than...if you have room for such a large screen that is.

12. gehrbox macrumors 65816

gehrbox

It's about pride of ownership and personal choice. The 24" is a better iMac in all respects so long as size is not an issue. If you have the money, space and desire a iMac 24" can be yours. If you do not have enough money, want a smaller screen or don't need maximum performance the smaller iMac will fill your needs.

It's not like we are talking about a very expensive item here. Most people pay a lot more for their car then their computers. It does not take a special person to qualify for a 24" iMac, just a few hundred extra dollars. If you want one, buy it. If you have to save for an extra month or so, then do it.

Some people cap what they will spend on a computer to be reasonable about it. They don't need the latest and greatest. Some people, like me spent the extra money just to have the latest and greatest iMac and finally get an iMac that breaks 3Ghz.

Lets not pretend here, if I could afford a Mac Pro 8 core monster with two 30" displays I would do it. I settled for a 24" iMac. I know what it feels like to buy something less then what I really wanted. It bytes. Buyers remorse kicks in and I really don't enjoy my new item as much as I should. This is not to say that if you want a 20" iMac that there is anything wrong with it. You bought what you needed. If you buy it and really want a 24", thats your choice and you might regret it or not.

In a year or so Apple will release something better, bigger faster or cooler in the iMac family and I can start to drool all over again. It's a temporary status symbol at best.

Here's the facts:
    The 24" screen is superior in display quality to the 20".
    The 24" iMac has faster processor options.
    The 24" iMac has faster video card options.
    The 24" iMac desktop real estate is only a small amount more then the 20" (20.5"x22.4"x8.1" vs 18.5"x19.1"x7.4") but the increase in available screen space is significant.

13. Jon.Stewart87 macrumors regular

Since I've joined, I have tried to give the best advice possible based on what limited knowledge I have - mainly personal.

Many, many, many times.. people will bring forth two or three options (20'' or 24'') and ask for opinions, and thats what they receive. In the end, they have to make the decision, but they will get opinions. Most of the time, they bring forth a couple of refurb options which will include a diverse mix of cpu speeds, screen sizes and what not. It would be silly NOT to recommend the 24''.

I can't speak for everyone, but for me, MR and the majority of its users have been very supportive through all I've seen.

14. minik macrumors 65816

Even there are plenty of forums and reviews out there, you're the one who makes the final decision.

As a 24-inch iMac owner here, I love it. I don't think I will look down on people who end up with a 20-inch iMac or Mac mini. Personally, I would love to have a Mac mini. It's a great Mac in a tiny enclosure.

15. mslide macrumors 6502a

This is why you should take anything you read on a public forum with a grain of salt. Take all the facts in (that you read off of the manufacturer's web site) and make your own decision. People say the 24" has a better screen. Well, go to an Apple store and make that kind of decision yourself. Me personally, a 20" iMac fit my needs and saved me a lot of money, but that shouldn't influence your decision at all. I also have a Macbook. I'm sure there are people on the MB/MBP forum who would think I'm crazy for buying a machine with such inferior graphic capabilities, but size/weight was my number 1 priority.

The same stuff happens on all forums, of all types.

16. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

the screen on my mom's 20" looks pretty darn good to everyone who's seen it. I guess it's flawed by some technical/professional standard, but I've yet to fund someone who doesn't find it gorgeous.

17. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Help me to understand

Okay, I have a 24" iMac, someone else may have a 20" - so what? Of all the g00fy reasons to look down on someone else, that's got to be one of the silliest. Perhaps several people on the forums come across like they think they're superior because they bought a "better" machine; as far as I'm concerned it just means that their tastes, and perhaps budget, are different.

Of all the reasons people give for buying a 20" instead of a 24", price is certainly one of the most valid and hard to argue against. I can see that. What I don't understand, however, is the issue of desk space.

Best I can tell, the stand underneath the 24" iMac isn't significantly larger than the stand on a 20", so I find it hard to believe that desk space comes into play - are we then talking about what's above a person's desk being in the way of a 24" iMac? And if you get out a tape measure, is a 24" screen really that much larger?

Just curious - what in the world to people have on their desks that a 20" screen fits the desk perfectly, but one a mere 4" larger (diagonally, no less) would make the desk too crowded?

Not that I'm looking down on anyone, mind you ;)

18. nout72 macrumors regular

nout72

True.
    But I find the screen itself too large, it's too much for what I need.
    My 20 inch is actually a bit too large as well, often 1/3 of the screen isn't used.
    For movies the 24 inch is great, but I'd rather have an external non-glossy LCD for movies.

19. jontucker macrumors 6502

I look down on people on forums but its because I'm taller and better looking, I earn more money, have a faster car and a sexier girlfriend! NOT because I have a 24" iMac!! :D

20. MattyP macrumors member

MattyP

A matter of size

I live in a small room inside a small apartment and my 20" imac sits on a rolling metal cart that is about 20" wide. It is a perfect fit and it fits my room niceley. Don't get me wrong, I'm a total size queen, but where I think size really matters is in RAM and with the money I saved on a 20 vs 24" imac I upgraded to 4gigs of RAM.

21. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

No Snobbery

My advice has always been to buy what you can afford without missing a rent payment. And then to be happy with what you chose. I don't think it is as much snobbery as just sharing our happiness with what we have.

22. The Hammer macrumors regular

We'll decide. Pictures of the girlfriend please.;)

23. Thomas Davie macrumors 6502

I bought a 2 gb 2.66 ghz alu iMac for a couple reasons;

1) I wasn't really sure if I wanted a Mac or not. It was cheaper than spending the bigger $ on a better system.
    2) If I did like the 20 inch (and I do), then I'll follow it up with a Macbook Pro in August, and
    3) When the quad cores (?) and Snow Leopard come out next yearish, I can go for the 24 inch model, feel like I'm really upgrading, and give the 20 inch iMac to my girlfriend.

Could I have affored the 24 inch 3.08 ghz model with the better graphics card? Yes, but I'd rather drink good beer and scotch :)

In the end, I'm very happy with what I have, and it will do until next march (as a guess). Buyers remorse? None. And no snobbery when I get the 24 inch model either.

Tom

24. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

If I advised someone to get the 24" it wouldn't be snobbery that influenced my advice. It would simply be that I love my computer and want to share the love.
    However I have seen threads where the OP has said that they either do not have the money or the space for a 24" iMac and people still advise them to get one. Personally I think that this is ridiculas as they have clearly stated that they do nott want a 24" iMac.
    But if a person has put no reference to the size iMac they want i don't think you can blame someone for advising someone to go for the 24".

25. BothBarsOn macrumors regular

Slightly off-topic (but not too much, I hope) - I love MacRumors and find it very helpful but a lot of people here seemed to be *obsessed* with displays. Even the Post Your Setup-type threads often descend into highly technical and often quite ugly arguments about panel types and so on, almost all of which leaves the likes of me needing a cup of warm milk and a little lie down. It doesn't seem to happen so much with any other type of hardware.

Weird.