20" vs. 24" monitor for MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ANTdod, May 15, 2008.

1. ANTdod macrumors newbie

ANTdod

I have MBP 15" and I am about to buy an external monitor so I can use it as a primary display with a MBP open on the side as a secondary screen. I am wondering if 24" is not too big for such combination, especially with bigger difference between resolutions that with 20".

I tried to search for similar topics here but haven't found anything. Sorry if this has already been discussed many times.

2. enkidu macrumors newbie

If I were you, I'd go with the 24". I use my 15" MBP at work open along side a 1600x1200 monitor and it works fine despite the height difference, a widescreen 24" would have the same height difference that I have (1200 vs 900). The extra 30% screen area should come in handy also.

3. zgnoud macrumors member

to tell ya the truth, at the moment the best value for your buck and sweet spot is 22", with the 24" usually 2x the cost of a 22" monitor. i got my self a hot 22" Samsung SyncMaster and havent looked back since.

4. fireloss macrumors member

But the problem with 22" is that they are all TN panels...

5. wishiknew macrumors newbie

No,that's not true..
    There is an Eizo 22" with s-pva panel.

Eizo S2231WH-BK

6. ANTdod thread starter macrumors newbie

ANTdod

But Eizo are very expensive. I didn't want to go with Apple Cinema as they cost too much and the same displays can be found in top end Dell monitors which are still cheaper.

I have also heard some good review of Samsung Syncmaster screens...

Fireloss mentioned TN panels... If I want to choose between 24" Dells:
    http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=uk&category_id=6761&cs=ukbsdt1&l=en&s=bsd
    what shall I look at? I have heard that 22" panels are equiped with older technology...

Thanks for sharing your experience.

7. mikenike192 macrumors regular

the thing about 22" and 20" monitors is that a 22" has a resolution of 1650x1050 which is the same resolution as a 20" monitor so the pixels are a little bigger than they would be on a 20" I would personally go with a 24"... i have a 24" iMac and i love all that screen size, its awesome to have firefox running and watching a movie in itunes at the same time by splitting the screen

8. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

The Dell 2408 is a PVA panel. The Apple is S-IPS. I have the 2405 (also a PVA) at work and a 23" ACD at home. The ACD is so much better it ain't funny. Colors/textures are much more lifelike.

9. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I have an iMac 24" and will be adding a MacBook Pro 15". Right now I am thinking to go with a 30", but I might get a 24". I intend to sell my iMac and buy a Mac Pro next year so I am debating between using one 30" with it or two 24" units. For how I use my Mac, I think the single 30" is the better choice, but...

10. skiffx macrumors 6502a

Definitely go for 24"...right now I run 15" with a 24 dell and looking to get a 30", so the bigger, the better for sure!:D

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I only buy S-IPS, so I'd recommend the 20-inch (Dell 2007WFP). The 24-inch is a PVA panel 100%. Of course the 30-inch is also a S-IPS, but it's a bit big. The resolution on the 20-inch is adequate for everything. I love it.

12. chadi macrumors member

I use a 27" Samsung 275t, it's probably not the best / most accurate for doing colour work but it serves me well in my office.

I'm using a 17"MBP, the monitor also has dual inputs so I use it with a second computer (yes, I keep a complete separate kb/mouse combo's as I don't like Windows keys on my mac and mac keys on my windows keyboards ;)

HTH
    Chadi

13. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Choosing a 2007WFP doesn't guarantee an S-IPS panel. They use both PVA and S-IPS so it's a bit of a gamble.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yada Yada Yada. I know....

I just rather take my chances; I would have returned the monitor and gotten a new one until I got a S-IPS panel; luckily I didn't have to.