200 Text Messages...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SFStateStudent, Oct 12, 2007.

1. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

v. 400 Text Messages isn't really an adjustment for me, since I use maybe 50 during a billing cycle. The 400 text message package (which I've had from day-1 of my Cingular/AT&T Family Plan), goes for about $9.99 a month, and the AT&T rep. was adamant that iPhone activation "automatically" removes the "400" text msg. plan and in-turn you have "200" text msg. plan with the $20 bump per month. I argued that I should have "600" text msgs. but the rep. was "like we've already removed the "400" when you activated the iPhone!" There was no further discussion, but the rep. asked on cue "Is there anything else I can help you with today?" I responded "you can give me my 400 text msgs BACK!" We laughed; and that's when I realized that I wasn't paying $9.99 a month anymore, but $20, for less!!!:cool:

2. pacohaas macrumors 6502a

it would be nice if there was an iPhone data plan that didn't include text messages. Unlimited Data for $15, add text messaging plans on top of that if you want, or just pay the per message fee. I'd rather pay the $0.10/message for the 10-15 that I use per month....that is unless an Apple iChat client comes out that uses SMS for messages.

3. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I hear ya' pacohaas...

the iChat on my MacBook and MacPro are getting a workout, and I would love to see that application on my iPhone in the near future. Totally cuts-down on the number of text msgs that I send/receive!!!:cool:

4. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

In reality those 200 text messages included with the plan are free. The $20 for the basic plan is mainly the price for unlimited data and the text messages are just thrown in to make it look nice. So really you aren't paying more for less text messages, you are paying nothing for less text messages and more for unlimited data.

5. pacohaas macrumors 6502a

In reality, nothing's free. If it was, they'd give all their customers 200 SMS messages for no additional charge(instead of charging $4.99/month). It's been built into the iPhone plans from day one and you can add different SMS plans (Mobile2Mobile messaging, Family Talk messaging, etc) which will override the iPhone SMS limit, but there is still no way to remove the 200 iPhone SMS's from the plan for a discount, so you will always be double-billed in that case. And for people who rarely use texting, they're overpaying for the 200 SMS package when they only use a dozen or two every month instead of paying for them a-la-cart like people without the Data(+SMS) plan.

My family plan has unlimited SMS messages, so my iPhone line always displays 0/200 SMS messages used. Every month, what a waste. I'm sure there's plenty of folks who would rather BYOT(Bring Your Own Texting) to a $15 iPhone data plan, whether it's because they want more or less than the typical 200 messages.

6. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

I can certainly side with the op. I think that it is silly that they would not let him keep the 400 messages for the extra money he was willing to keep paying. I am waiting to see how many of the 200 messages I use. I am cutting back some since before I had 1500 text messages.

7. philhyde macrumors member

If I understand what you are saying, your old phone plan gave you 400 SMS messages for $9.99 a month. Now, AT&T is requiring you to pay $20 for a data plan that include unlimited data and 200 SMS messages. How exactly are you paying more for less?

8. pacohaas macrumors 6502a

200 SMS messages costs $4.99 (text/video/picture)
    400 SMS messages costs $9.99 (text/video/picture)
    1500 SMS messages costs $14.99 (text/video/picture)
    Unlimited SMS is $19.99 (text/video/picture)

Unlimited iPhone Data+200 SMS is $20 (iPhone Data must be $15.01)
    Unlimited iPhone Data+1500 SMS is $30 (iPhone Data must be $15.01)
    Unlimited iPhone Data+Unlimited SMS is $40 (iPhone Data must be $20.01)

So, you lose the video/picture messaging(which is arguably replace by iPhone Data+email). It's not that you're paying more for less, but that if you do add a text messaging plan to the iPhone line, your iPhone SMS messages aren't used(in my experience). Technically I would think you could add the $4.99 200 SMS package to your iPhone line and be at $24.99 total with 200+200 SMS messages, but I don't know if the system is smart enough to switch from your add-on package to the iPhone SMS's when the first 200 run out. Someone who texts a lot more than me will have to try it.

It is odd that the Unlimited iPhone SMS package is $40 instead of $35 though, if you look at their "regular" messaging packages.

@OP: the rep you spoke with is wrong about adding messaging packages. If you look at the apple iPhone site it clearly states that "*More SMS text messages can be added to any plan."

9. method525 macrumors member

Not true at all. CSRs only have the ability to add the various iphone text messages plan plus unlimited m2m.

10. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

And people wonder why some of us unlock our iPhones.

My provider
    $4.99 unlimited SMS
    $14.99 unlimited SMS and Data

Att charges for incoming SMS which is insane.

Rant/done