$200 to spend... But on what?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chainprayer, Dec 25, 2008.

1. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

I just got a $200 Christmas bonus at work. What should I buy from the apple store?

2. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Personal opinion: save it.

I'll give you a thing to buy if you pressure me.

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...must you spend it at the Apple Store? Without knowing what you already have it is difficult to give you suggestions. What I would say though is if you are like so many others and have no external drive (or other means) for backing up your stuff then that might be a good suggestion....oh yeah!

5. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

It's hard to recommend what to buy when we don't know what you do not yet have. For example, perhaps you have an old computer and could therefore benefit by more RAM. Or, maybe you don't have a SD Card reader for the digital camera for which you just bought a data chip. Or, maybe you don't have a portable storage device, even a small flash drive, which you might then want to purchase. Or ...

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

7. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

iPod Touch is an option or maybe a nice bluetooth or wireless mouse. Maybe a nice case if you don't already have one. Another option is save it up for a later use :).

8. m1stake macrumors 68000

Regardless of your financial situation, it's dumb to buy something for the sake of buying something.

9. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

10. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i say hold on to it, until you find something you like.. not just look for something you like to buy...you ll probably regret it at the end

11. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

My thoughts exactly

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Cash is king. Money is power. Investments. You catch my drift? Buy 2 maybe 3 shares of Apple stock and watch it double.

13. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

oh yeah. watch apple's shares drop from $200 a year ago to $85. Great investment!

14. MACoconut macrumors regular

lol. :p:p:p:p

15. Leroy33 macrumors newbie

just hold on to it, save up some more cash and buy yourself something nice. :D

16. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...it was if you bought them for less that $85 a share:D

17. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

You could also reverse that and still come out ahead.

18. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

haha "buy a wireless mighty mouse", a mouse is for life not just for Christmas, which is what Apple wants, as they usually break after 4 months or so :D

19. chainprayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

i have a macbook with bluetooth mouse, external hd for backups and storage, airport, and ipod touch.

i was pondering an apple tv. is it worth the money?

20. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Loose and beer women?

21. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

From what I've read (I don't own one), no. Other people will certainly disagree. It costs $220 though so you'd have to chip in a little bit.

If you MUST buy something, I'd accessorize what you already have. Cases, headphones, etc can all be bought at the apple store.

If I had that kind of money to just blow, I would just save it up, but like I said, if you have to spend it then get some nice accessories.

22. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

AppleTV could be worth it, depending on if you have enough media in your iTunes. Certainly it's great for wirelessly sending stuff to your TV, it'd be great to have with friends or parties. Or renting movies from iTunes, when you'd like.

In some respects, it'd be awesome. It just comes down to how often will you use it?

23. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

As long as you remember to budget for a raincoat... ;)

24. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

If you are thinking AppleTV, you may want to wait and see if an update happens at MacWorld during the first week of January. Less than two weeks...

25. DocNYz macrumors 6502a

DocNYz

I haven't listened to them yet, but if they are all they're cracked up to be, the new in-ear headphones would definitely be a must buy if you actually care about music.

Also, a wireless keyboard would be a nice touch because sometimes I like to either sit away from my computer, stand up and use it, or plug it into an HDTV and sit far away on a couch and the wireless keyboard would compliment your bluetooth mouse nicely.

In addition, airport expresses never hurt because not only can you extend your network well, but you can also plug a printer or something in, and most importantly (for music lovers) plug your stereo directly into it and wirelessly either use your laptop or iPod touch to control music through your best speakers from anywhere on the network without having to get up and plug things in or go to your computer to select playlists etc. I use this a lot for parties/gatherings/chores with my iPhone and it works incredibly well and is much less expensive than having a professional installation of room/zoned speakers and amplifiers connected through a universal remote control set-up.

RAM also is great and cheap and can boost the performance of anything for well under $100 bucks, often under $50 even from places like www.crucial.com

Honestly, I'd just get an iPhone since the cheaper one is $197 now at wal-mart and you can even sell your iPod touch, or just leave it at home plugged into a stereo or something.