$200 wasted! Upgrade possible?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Walkar, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Walkar macrumors newbie

Sep 15, 2009
    So I just bought a shiny new 32 gig iPod touch from Apple for $435 with shipping. I was really happy with my purchase, it's a really neat little machine, until I heard that if I'd've waited a week or so, I could have gotten a 64 gigabye iPod for the exact same price. I was complaining to a teacher of mine about it, and he said that once, he had bought an operating system from them, and later they came out with a new one, so they sent him the new version for free because he had bought it in a certain time period. Does anyone know if this is possible for my shiny, new, outdated 32 gig iPod touch?

tl;dr: Bought the 32 gig iPod for $400, then they lowered the price and now I'm pissed. Any re-compensation options?

Thank you!
  2. kwajkat macrumors regular

Aug 17, 2009
    The only way you are going to know is to contact Apple? Otherwise return it and go from there.
  3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

Feb 19, 2008
    1) The upgrade cycle for iPods is faitly predictable and expected. Next time do your homework on a big purchase. Up above is a tab for "Buyers' Guide" that can help you.
    2) You can return merchandise for a restocking fee (sometimes waived)/minus shipping. If you have an Apple store near you that is your best option.
    3) Do you reall need 64 GB? If not, you can find the 32 GB (previous generation) at places like Best Buy for a discount (save some $ for iTunes purchases). The upgrade wasn't that exciting.

P.S. I just picked up 2 "outdated" Touches for a song at Best Buy. They will work well for years to come.
  4. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a

Jan 10, 2006
    You didn't just lose out on the higher memory, you also lost out on a faster processor, updated software, etc. Also, the resale of value of your 32GB is really in the toilet now because of the updated machine coming out. Just thought you might want to know.
  5. ajones46 macrumors 6502

Feb 9, 2009
    Monroe, Michigan
    Check your return policy. If you're still within the time slot, you should be able to just send it back for a full refund. Mistake undone. I did that with my PS3, I spent $400 for the "fat" version a week before the release of the newer, slimmer version. I just took it back to Best Buy and told them that my dad had found it, and with me being a college student and all, I shouldn't be spending that kind of money =D