$2000 apple gift card, can i get a mac pro cheap? or best advice!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CPPhoto, Jul 12, 2007.

1. CPPhoto macrumors member

So ya

i have a 2000.00 apple gift card good for the online store, retail, and phone.

can i get a mac pro under 2 grand? Im assuming it will be the refurb route. I am also a student.

because it is a gift card i am locked in to apple and not other retailers etc.

or would i be better off getting a 24 inch iMac

im a photographer using aperture, CS3, etc etc etc.

i have a 20" ACD already...

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Call Apple about their EDU prices or talk to your school. Here in the UK, HE discounts (higher education) are simply amazing. You should be able to get yourself something nice. Just remember that with 4 cores, you definitely want to get enough RAM.

3. mkgm1 macrumors regular

If you're a student at university you should probably be getting a higher education discount (~15%). But the discount doesn't apply to refurbs.

That should bring the basic stock Mac Pro price down to $2125, and then obviously you might have to add tax to that.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

If you drop down to the 2.0 Ghz Mac Pro it comes to be about $2030 with higher educational. You could also take a look at the MBPs.

5. CPPhoto thread starter macrumors member

i already have a MBP.

is the 2.0 a big difference from the 2.6? if i get a 2.0 base config with edu discount, it comes out to 2038 or so before tax.

has anybody bought a refurb 2.0 or 2.66...anybody have any pricing for that since there's only 3.0's in the refurb area right now

how long till a mac pro update? could the 2.6 become the "base model" which would be a big help?

6. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Of course there is a big difference between a 2.66 machine and a 2.0 machine. However, I'd still opt for the 2.0 Mac Pro above the iMac, personally, since it's far more upgradeable and you already have a screen.

It's been a long time since the Mac Pros were updated, so they are overdue, but I haven't heard any rumors about when they might see a refresh.. Of course the usual rule applies: if you need now, buy it now. If not, wait. Your call.

7. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

You could buy into the ADC for $99 and then get the mac pro if your a college student.

http://developer.apple.com/products/student.html

And then for the store:
    http://developer.apple.com/membership/usa.html
    click the link towards the top under ordering information.

You can get the 2.0ghz mac pro for $1760 and the 2.66 for $1999 and then you add on taxes of course.

And if I'm not mistaken you will receive Mac OS x leopard when it becomes available. If I were you though since you already have a mbp, i'd wait for the mac pro to be updated. And since you already have a nice monitor, i wouldn't get the imac.

Edit: How does one receive a $2000 gift card to apple?

8. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I'll echo everyone above, go for the 2.0 ghz model (since you have a nice screen and this would be the best long term value)...unless new iMacs get released very soon and they are something "special."

Can Apple Gift Cards be used on iTunes? If they can, you could, alternatively, get yourself quite a bit of music.

9. CPPhoto thread starter macrumors member

yah right...maybe 1900.00...

thats 100 bucks savings ;) haha.

not too into the whole developer thing...

has anybody gotten any pricing from the refurb store for a 2.0 or 2.66?

seems like noobody knows when new mac pros are coming out..

ps x loved your site..keep it up with the photo/design!

10. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

You don't have to actually be a developer to use the $400 discount (after ADC cost). It is quite worth.

I bought a $2176 gift card here the other for $1900, I have stored away for the Mac Pro update :)

11. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

I echo the above. Even including the 99 you need to pay for the developers program a 2.0 would put you at 1860 before taxes which is a 170 dollar savin over the normal edu discount! and then a 2.6 for 2099 which is only 70 dollars more then the 2.0 at edu discount. GOOD deal if you ask me! Then you can upgrade harddrive and ram and all that as you et more money! :) Even if they upgrade.. the 2.66 will still be crazy fast for a long time... :)

Good luck and enjoy whatever you choose!

12. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

13. korndog2003 macrumors regular

korndog2003

+ you get leopard beta :D:D:D

14. CPPhoto thread starter macrumors member

im not going to do the dev. route...unless no mac pros show up in the refurb section, or a new mac pro comes out...when...?

has anybody seen any change on the refurb section? they still have only 3ghz..for like a week now

15. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

Computers are only listed on the refurb site while they are available. When they are sold, they disappear from the list. The list is updated in the mornings usually around 5am PST. Wednesday morning, they had a 2.0GHz Mac Pro for $1899.

16. CPPhoto thread starter macrumors member

awesome...thats part of the info i was looking for

1899 isnt bad...thought it may be lower though..

17. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Ah not quite. I believe only the "Select" and "Premiere" developer kits ($499 and $1499, if I remember correctly) give you access to the beta seeds. Otherwise I'd have one of those $99 accounts too. :cool:

18. CPPhoto thread starter macrumors member

well looks like the 2.66 is 2199 it showed up on the refurb page for a few minutes at like 2 am.