$2000 for an MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by John876, Jun 30, 2008.

1. John876 macrumors newbie

I have $2000 to spend on an MBP. I'm in college (so I have the education discount), which only allows me to go for the low-end model new, with a little cash left to upgrade the RAM. In the refurb store, I could get an MBP at 2.6 GHz, 160 gb hd, and 2 gb RAM, 256 mb vram. It looks like an incredible deal, and I'd love to have a 2.6 GHz processor, but it is the last generation. Is it a better deal? Will the faster processor compensate for the older architechture?

2. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Calling it older-architecture is a little much, it is just one-platform newer I believe, so it shouldn't be a major difference, just expect a few light scratches or wear marks on it, nothing major, but it is a refurb.

3. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

it won't have the multi touch like the new ones, but other then that you'll be getting pretty much an equal computer.

Refurbs are great. I always get refurbs and all of mine have always been as good as new (no wear marks what so ever... look brand new except for packaging) if not better since they have been checked over twice or more for defects etc.

Long live the refurb!

4. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

I've just always like the new mac smell personaly.

I've never owned one of apples computers, though with everything else, I can say I'm glad I bought it new.
    Mainly for the packaging and more of the apple experience.

Honestly though, that's just me being me.

I know not everyone is like that.

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

They almost never have scratches or wear marks; refurb in Apple terms means a machine restored to factory conditions.

To the OP, I'd overwhelmingly suggest a refurbished machine if you hope to get the best for your money when purchasing an Apple product.

6. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

Refurb products are great from Apple. If there are any major defects or scratches on the case they just replace the case. As long as multitouch trackpads aren't the reason you're interested in the mbp, I'd say go for the refurb.