$2000 Macbook Airs SSD on ebay legit?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by plunar, Sep 14, 2008.

1. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Looks legit,but sounds too good to be true. And if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Just use your judgment on this one...

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

3. ascender macrumors 68000

That's the golden rule of eBay, particularly where Apple kit is concerned.

4. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

I agree with all of the above. The fact that you are questioning the legitimacy on here tells me that you don't think its true so don't fool yourself (and your money) It's not worth the extra couple of hundred dollars saved to risk getting ripped off.

5. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Agreed. Just the fact that you have to ASK means you aren't sure. I'm not trying to put you down or anything - this is just my advice - and I think everyone could benefit from the above advice.

The MacBook Air's could be stolen, or from hijacked accounts, or whatever. Who knows? Also, if you buy it from a store, you get an actual return policy. And if you buy it from Apple, you can still get the free iPod + printer deal.

If you wait for the next MBA revision to come out, you can get the SSD version for even cheaper (the current gen is what i'm talking about). If price is an issue, I'd even go refurb before making a big expensive purchase on ebay that I wasn't certain of.

An excellent place to do business is in the MacRumors marketplace, too, so keep your eyes peeled for good deals there. It's a lot easier to trust someone with several hundred/thousand posts on this forum since many of us here are true "die-hard mac fans" and so the risk of getting scammed is probably lower.

6. ascender macrumors 68000

One thing I've found in the past which is sometimes worth doing is emailing the seller and saying you have to be in their town for business, so can you just come and collect in person? That usually scares the fraudsters off and you'll never hear from them again.

7. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Good one! Of course, in this case, greed got the best of a number of people - they flew off ebay not long after the original post.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Couldn't agree more. Buy from a legitimate outlet, or an Apple store; that way you will be certain to obtain warranty and legitimacy and legal rights and protection from the purchase of the product.
    Cheers and good luck

9. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

The first link looks fishy. I wouldn't buy from him due to lack of high volume transactions. But looks like it was sold to someone.

The second one looks better, but still low volume transactions and not Power Seller.

I would skip both.