2001 Bmw 740??

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by puma1552, Jul 8, 2010.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

So here I was looking at early 2000s 3-series when while filtering the search I saw a 2001 740iL for 7500 with 160k miles, but very very clean looking. Figured that seemed way too cheap, so I started looking and surprise surprise that seems on par; I found two other 01 740s--a gorgeous immaculate Imola Red/Black 740iA for $13k with 103k miles, and an immaculate white 740iL with 98k on the clock for less than $11k.

Now, I'm looking at three series', and though I'm not a big body car guy, I have always thought these were the nicest looking 7s. Also, in comparison to the 3s, it just seems like way way way more car and even with reasonable/acceptable mileage compared to the 3 series cars in this price range.

What's the deal? This is the kinda car I could see having a loan for, but an old lower trim 3 series with 120-150k on it for 7-9k? Not as appealing.

Were these cars terrible? Not popular? Things to watch for? Or just bit the depreciation worse than other cars?

Just seems like a way better deal.

2. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

You better have a lot of extra cash for parts when things start to go wrong.

I had a 1999 740iL and around 60k miles my cats went bad... almost 3k to fix on a bmw. It's one thing after another, even babied the car - always had scheduled maintenance.

Friends old 3 series was the same, electrical problems etc...

3. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

I had an old 92 325i I bought back in '03, it was a pile of crap despite being immaculate with service records.

How much more expensive are the 7s to maintain?

Here's a pic of the red one, absolutely gorgeous big body:

[​IMG]

4. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

I've read numerous emissions issues with these cars as well. They are NOT cheap to repair, so unless you're a very good mechanic, I would not recommend these cars, regardless of how beautiful they are.

Beautiful girls = high maintenance. Beautiful cars = same thing. :D

-Aaron-

5. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

The reason why they're so cheap is clearly stated. Prepare to drop tons of cash into it several times per year. And welcome to BMW that only cares about your money and nothing else. If you desire a luxo-barge, look at Lexus LS of same year. It will have most of the equivalent toys but being a big Toyota it's going to be easier to maintain and far more reliable.

There are only 3 kinds of people that buy those large old Naziwagenz. Ones that can fix everything themselves and just pay for parts and ones who have a lot of money to waste. The third type are people who don't know what they're getting into and they quickly become either one of the aforementioned types or sell the car. So if you are type 3 I suggest you move on.

6. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

If you want a Gorgeous Big Body here ya go.

[​IMG]

Besides why are you even considering a car that is 9 years old for $7500, complete rip off.

7. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Unless you have the cash for a couple thousand dollar fixes or can do your own repairs with expensive parts, I would skip it.

check out bimmerfest or any other bmw forums for owner advice.

8. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I'm going to agree with everyone else here. I was looking at getting a 97-02 BMW, because they fall within the budget for my first car that my parents are getting me. After talking to some people over at bimmerfest and bimmerforums, I decided against a BMW. There is always something wrong with these cars when they get older, and it's ungodly expensive to fix them. I'm now looking at Acura's, Lexus's, and Infiniti's. I've also eyed some Toyota Cellica's.

I still have promised myself that I will get my BMW one day, but I'm going to wait until I have the money to properly take care of one. They are beautiful cars, but they are expensive in every way.

-Don