2001 G4 - recycle? Or is there a market?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by davidinva, Mar 4, 2013.

1. davidinva macrumors 6502a

I have a 2001 G4 250 GH, 640MB memory, no hard drive. Runs on Tiger, running from an external firewire HD. Is there any market for this, or should I take it to a local computer recycler?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There's always a market for an old G4. Post it on Craigslist, just don't expect to get much more than $50 for it.

3. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

How about giving it to someone...

There are places that give computers to the needy. A gentleman I know sets up computers to give to Vets..I'll put you in contact if you'd like..no need to trash a functional computer.

4. davidinva thread starter macrumors 6502a

Our local recycler (a nonprofit, I think), will rehab them and pass them on to someone who can use it.

5. PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

Funny, Apple would trash it.. but then again Apple no longer appreciates PowerPC. They hate us though I don't see why the wasted energy on hating an architecture?

6. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

How is this relevant?

7. PowerPCMacMan, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013

PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

It might not be relevant, but its true that Apple could care less about us keeping PowerPC alive. For a person who simply wants a computer to do internet and movies, I think the PowerPC Mac is a good choice and depending on the type of machine it can even do other things the person wants.

8. wobegong Guest

Of course they don't care they're a company and like companies all they are after profit - why would they care about keeping old machines alive, how does that help their bottom line?

9. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Because remembering your heritage always helps your bottom line because it keeps enthusiasts interested. Why does Mercedes have a museum of on some of the most expensive property in Stuttgart? Why do they have a rolling show of older MB cars that travel across the city and set up displays even if the cars there are mundane. You do it to show heritage to define who you are and what you believe.

Should apple keep every cruddy old computer no, should they take them in and hand them off to services that will reuse them, yes. This actually shows class.

10. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Well, they seem to be quite proud of the cube ending up on display at the New York museum of modern art. That was a PPC machine...

RGDS,

11. wobegong Guest

I think that was the case they were showing off, not the CPU inside it ;)

12. wobegong Guest

I think Apple do a pretty good job of defining who they are and all the items you list are museum items - Here we are talking about Apple supporting PPC further, believe me I wish they had and nobody is more outspoken than I at the speed with which they dropped support but this was of course a purely commercial decision.

They built their fan base up to a fever pitch point of loyalty - they knew they would rush out and buy the newest product (Intel) and 99.9% did just that.

The whinging few (the dozen or so posters in this forum section - yes I'm one too... ;) ) highlights what a minority this is and how 'abandoning' PPC only annoyed a very few and had absolutely no impact on their customer base at all - Despite all this abandonment and blatant commercial interest (you can't blame a company for that) Apple has done much much much better since moving to Intel as most people liked the fact they could dual boot, a lot more people purchased Apple because they could now run Windows than left Apple because they wanted to keep using their PPC, software developers had a much easier time (and were therefor more likely to port) coding for x86 OSX than PPC.....etc etc etc

I couldn't agree more though I would argue that 'class' would be more appropriate if they were handing off new modern machines to services that would use them (if we're talking charities/third world schools etc) than old ones.

13. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I don't think of it as "supporting" PowerPC so much as understanding at a company level that this stuff is their history and still viable particularly for younger students or people with minimal needs.

The current rabid Apple people aren't IMHO Apple people though. They're not here for Mac's and they don't much understand the past difficulties that shaped many of the oldsters and their opinions, I know that sounds rather "kids these days" but I don't really mean it that way.

Either way I'd like to see old computers recycled meaning used again.