2001 PowerBook Titanium Backlight went out (or inverter board?)

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Hi again, it has been a bit since my last post, I've had a busy summer and a ****** school year. How have you guys been? Quick question, anyone have some suggestions for some trouble shooting to help determine wether its a hardware or a software issue, and if hardware wether its the backlight or the inverter board? I'm at a dead end, since money is tight right now (15, car, license, no job thanks labor laws) I want to get the right part (if its a hardware issue) Thanks guys!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
TiBook screens and backlights are difficult to replace without damaging the metal frame. The inverter would be cheaper than buying a whole display assembly. How did it die? Is the whole screen out?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hi again, it has been a bit since my last post, I've had a busy summer and a ****** school year. How have you guys been? Quick question, anyone have some suggestions for some trouble shooting to help determine wether its a hardware or a software issue, and if hardware wether its the backlight or the inverter board? I'm at a dead end, since money is tight right now (15, car, license, no job thanks labor laws) I want to get the right part (if its a hardware issue) Thanks guys!
Prior to failure, was the display slowly getting brighter and dimmer progressively? If so then I would say inverter. That being said it could be either one if it did not fail that way.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Prior to failure, was the display slowly getting brighter and dimmer progressively? If so then I would say inverter. That being said it could be either one if it did not fail that way.
Not that I noticed, I powered it off for a month and now the backlight won't come back on. The screen works, just no backlight.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Adjusting the hinge makes absolutely no difference?
Nope, none at all sadly. Its really odd, I've reset the PMU and the PRAM, no help again sadly.
EDIT: reseated some of the connections, but it didn't help, arg. Is it really the bulbs?

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I suggest replacing the inverter first. In most cases when the backlight is dead, there are signs that indicate it before it completely goes. The inverter is often just a quick failure with no or little signs.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
I suggest replacing the inverter first. In most cases when the backlight is dead, there are signs that indicate it before it completely goes. The inverter is often just a quick failure with no or little signs.
Okay, I just need to get the $6... haha, thanks man!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.