2001 PowerBook Titanium Backlight went out (or inverter board?)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by 128keaton, Sep 28, 2014.

1. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Hi again, it has been a bit since my last post, I've had a busy summer and a ****** school year. How have you guys been? Quick question, anyone have some suggestions for some trouble shooting to help determine wether its a hardware or a software issue, and if hardware wether its the backlight or the inverter board? I'm at a dead end, since money is tight right now (15, car, license, no job thanks labor laws) I want to get the right part (if its a hardware issue) Thanks guys!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

TiBook screens and backlights are difficult to replace without damaging the metal frame. The inverter would be cheaper than buying a whole display assembly. How did it die? Is the whole screen out?

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Prior to failure, was the display slowly getting brighter and dimmer progressively? If so then I would say inverter. That being said it could be either one if it did not fail that way.

4. 128keaton thread starter macrumors 68020

128keaton

Not that I noticed, I powered it off for a month and now the backlight won't come back on. The screen works, just no backlight.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Adjusting the hinge makes absolutely no difference?

6. 128keaton, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014

128keaton thread starter macrumors 68020

128keaton

Nope, none at all sadly. Its really odd, I've reset the PMU and the PRAM, no help again sadly.
    EDIT: reseated some of the connections, but it didn't help, arg. Is it really the bulbs?

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It could be but I would think the inverter is toast.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I suggest replacing the inverter first. In most cases when the backlight is dead, there are signs that indicate it before it completely goes. The inverter is often just a quick failure with no or little signs.

9. 128keaton thread starter macrumors 68020

128keaton

Okay, I just need to get the $6... haha, thanks man!