2004 g5 not loading, no light but fans spin?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bainesca, Oct 17, 2008.

1. bainesca macrumors newbie

Gday,

I seem to have a dead G5 power mac that doesn't load. When I push the power button the light only comes on for as long as the button is pushed, then it goes out. The fans start as normal and there is one or two normal clicking sounds but thats it.. Fans run for a couple of minutes then it seems like it all just stops. The power light on the monitor comes on but the screen stays blank.. I've tried the mac, option, p, r ... tried unplugging all external things except the keyboard and mouse, tried unplugging and replugging everything inside the mac, have tried leaving it disconnected from the power source overnight, tried holding the mouse button down, but drive doesnt respond.. When I unplug it from the wall there is a click and when I plug it back in there is another click.. I have swapped the two ram things over in there slots and nothing..
    Ive had the mac from brand new and havnt added any extra hardware, just updated to leopard about 4 months ago and had no problems.. Seemed to be working as normal up until the day it wouldnt load..

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I live about 4 hours out of the city and can't afford to make several trips back and forth to find out what is wrong..

2. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

What CPUs does it have?

I had a dual 1.8 that kept frying CPUs. Took it to the shop 3 times before it was fixed.

Is the ram from apple? or a 3rd party vendor?

3. bainesca thread starter macrumors newbie

dual 1.8

Not sure you mean by CPU.. I know very little computer terms..
    I have a dual 1.8 .. 512mb of ( ram?) on the inside of the tower it has
    1.8 256mb 400/80gb/sd/g5200 not sure what all that means..
    I bought it from an Apple shop.. everything I pressume in it would be apple.