Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC
So I bought an SSD for this machine in November, and ordered the enclosure recommended by TheShortTimer here off eBay. I finally had time to install the SSD in the enclosure today. No problem with all but two of the screws. Per the picture, I think I know where they go, but they don't want to go all the way in. Also, they don't look like they really serve any function. Are they there as a potential attachment mechanism if needed, but not necessary to install otherwise?
Mini SSD enclosure.jpg

Reactions: TheShortTimer

cellularmitosis

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2010
Those screws are for securing the M2 card onto the adapter board. The kit probably came with extra screws. No need to put screws into the holes indicated in the picture.

Good choice btw, I'm running a handful of the same M2 adapter board / enclosures myself.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Those screws are for securing the M2 card onto the adapter board. The kit probably came with extra screws. No need to put screws into the holes indicated in the picture.

Yeah, I never needed to do that with mine.

Good choice btw, I'm running a handful of the same M2 adapter board / enclosures myself.

Perfect for tight spaces like those of the Mini and the iBook. :)

@zachiedoo does it work?

Reactions: cellularmitosis

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC

Thanks, but I can't take the credit. My choices were totally as a result of guidance received here in these forums. 😄

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC
Yeah, I never needed to do that with mine.

Perfect for tight spaces like those of the Mini and the iBook. :)

@zachiedoo does it work?
Sorry, TheShortTimer, you'll have to stay tuned! I probably won't have time to do the actual switch for a couple of days. We're in the process of renovating our house (an ongoing project since the fall) and my 'tech time' is limited these days: I do things when I can.

I have decided what I'll do with the G5 mini, though, once it's in there: I've been reading up on Cloud Leopard and I'm very intrigued.

Reactions: TheShortTimer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.