2005 G5, What should I upgrade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Soura2112, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

I have a MAc G5 2005. I want to upgrade it to todays standards the best I can with in financial reason and with what I can do ( such as I know no Intel). When I first got it I bumbed Ram up to 4, and I will add more. I also had 2nd hard drive, but a shipping problem caused that to get trashed, so I will fix that with a TB drive ( have to fix the cables first), also I want to take out the original drive and put in a larger drive, maybe a TB too.
    Now I am thinking what else can I do? I am not sure on the exact model. I know it was one of the first dual G5's 2.5 ghz. At the time it was the "best" model in terms of price and what it came with from the Apple store.
    I love it still and I do not need to buy a new one at all. I do mostly video editing, Final Cut (Soundtrack, and all that), Music (lots of Garagenand), and Photoshop CS. (why I need speed and large HD drives).
    Are there little things I am missing that wont cost an arm and a leg to bring my Mac to todays levels ( I know there is only so much I can do, but curious what I can do.)
    I would also like to take my video editing to the max in terms of power, so any advice on "new" hardware would rock.

Thanks,
    Brent

2. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

You could add a new graphics card but your is probably still pretty good. There really isn't anything you can further upgrade