2005 Honda Civic EX Questions (sedan)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Jan 18, 2009.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

2005 Honda Civic SI Canadian model (American EX), 5 speed comes with the 1.7L vtec? And is the 1.7L vtec engine a interference or non interference? Do these cars have known problems? And what color do the gauges light up at night?
    What MPG should i expect from this car? Would the car have mp3 playback through the cd player?

I know this isnt the right forum ,but I have posted in Honda forums and no response yet, so maybe someone here can help me.

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

You care about what color the gauges light up?

3. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

crucial factor in buying cars these days :rolleyes: . honestly tho, most of those questions can be answered w/ a quick search at any site like edmunds or yahoo autos...or a visit to a used car dealership. oh, and the 05 civic si was a hatchback w/ a 2 liter engine, both in us and canada

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Yes, it is an interference engine - as far as I know every Honda engine with an OHC head is interference - heck, I think that every Japanese engine sold in the USA/Canada these days is an interference engine. If the car you're looking at is high mileage make sure you check the maintenance interval on the timing belt change.

Frankly, I couldn't give a toss about the dash gauges. Sorry. I seem to recall it having an MP3 cd player though (might be an option), possibly an AUX in as well.

As to known problems, no major problems I know of, other than all the punk-ass riceboys that flog them to death and then dump them into the used market. Finding one that has been driven lightly is hard.

5. BoingoBongo macrumors regular

It makes sense to me. The gauges are what's staring you in the face every time you drive the car for years and years, so it makes sense to like the way they look.

Plus I'm kind of insane. :cool:

6. slick316 macrumors 6502

I had a 2002 EX Coupe, but even though the coupe is very different, I know about the sedan.

The coupe had amber gauges, and in the US, the sedan had green gauges (the illumination in general is green).

The CD player will more than likely NOT support MP3. Only the special edition Civic had an MP3 CD player with an AUX input on the front.

The car doesn't have any real mechanical issues that I know of. My coupe had really "thin" paint, chipped easily, the front bumper was a mess since I drove highway a lot. I really can't think of much else, but I only had my 2002 for 60,000 miles, so it was in good condition when I traded it.

And mileage was great. I had an auto, and it still pumped out 30mpg with a decent 60/40 highway/city split. On long trips when I did all highway, I easily hit 36-38mpg, even did 40mpg on occasion (and I live in Oklahoma, its hot here and my A/C is always running).

7. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

This is very important to me when I buy a car because my eyes has a hard time seeing some colors at night. I could never get a Pontiac for this reason because their dash boards are "red" and I have a hard time seeing numbers (I am color blind in 1 eye)

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I think only the Civic si gauges are red. Otherwise they are blue.

9. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I'm color blind in both. If its a big deal you can change the LED's yourself. Buying a car because it has red gauges instead of blue is just... odd.

10. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

If I buy a new car it will come with what I want. I don't have time to be working on cars. I am 100% color blind in the 1 eye.. yes, all I see is black and gray. Besides 90% of the time I will buy new and change out stuff will void the warranty.

11. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Yes I actually do, its like when you buy a Apple product you want it to look good right, just like I want my gauges to look good!

12. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Well no offense, but it's just a '05 Civic Sedan...

13. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

It's still a nice car. Honda makes a good car and I am very impressed with them.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Agreed. Honda does in fact make a nice car. You can change the gauges you know?

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, but gauges aren't going to be a deciding factor. If I love everything else about the car, but the gauges are red instead of blue, it's not going to stop me from buying the car.

16. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

In that case, you should decide what kind and color of gauges you want, and then find out which cars have those.

VWs sported blue lit gauges for years (and may still?), BMWs and Pontiacs have red ones, My '99 Nissan had white ones and my 2000 Subaru is lit green.

You can always change the dash lighting. All you need is basic electrical knowledge, a little patience and a wiring diagram (or Google).

17. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Actually, the Canadian Si was the same car as the American EX. The hatchback you're talking about was called the Si in the States, but it was called the SiR in Canada.

No idea why they did that...

The 05 Civic has an interference engine, but IIRC the interval for the timing belt to be changed is every ~100 000 miles - not bad.

18. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Not bad, but make sure it's done on time. timing belt failures are catastrophic.

19. jeremy h macrumors 6502

Hi - I'm the owner of a 2002 Civic (Manual - UK model). I'm not overly impressed by it to be honest. It hasn't been very reliable, on the UK models there appears to have been problems with the Aircon and gearbox bearings. (I've been caught expensively out by both of those).

Also before you buy...

Check the seats out - I think mine are some of the worst I've ever sat in (they're fine on a quick test drive but awful on long motorway runs)

And - carefully check what gadgets it has - mine is missing things that have been standard on the cars I've had for years - eg no intermittent rear wipe (just a constant speed one) etc etc

20. duncanapple macrumors 6502

It sounds like Honda may stick to a theme - My fiance has an 07 accord coupe the lights up amber, I have an 07 accord sedan that lights up green.

Side note, yes I know its sick that we drive virtually the same car (even bought them from the same guy, about 6 weeks apart), but at the end of the day, Honda's are prob one of the best engineered cars on the road. You really cant beat the value, quality, fit, and finish for the dollar.

Another side note, while I agree the illumination is not that important, often when we are driving either car, its the only way to tell which one we are in without looking behind us lol.

21. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Well, none of the Hondas that we owned have MP3 playback in CD form. We have a Honda Civic 02, though that only has a cassette deck. Got a 04 Odyssey (sp?). That got a CD player but no MP3 playback. Also got a Acura TS-X, that doesn't have MP3 playback either. So I'm guessing that the 05 Civic won't either.

22. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

weird, i though I had seen a few Canadian hatchback civic w/ just the "si" badging...mabey the owners rebadged them. that is strange tho.

23. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

My old man drives an '07 Civic LX, and that car has an MP3 CD player. Perhaps it's the first generation of Civic so equipped.