2005 iBook G4 onslaught of Kernel Panics

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by akhan360, May 7, 2010.

1. akhan360 macrumors newbie

Hi, everyone!

I'm having a bit of an issue, here.
    I bought an iBook G4 a few months ago, with the airport not working, causing kps, but i could still boot up.
    The repair to this was to open it up, and sandwich a thick piece of paper on the airport card inside the ibook. This solved my airport problem and i could use the internet without any problems. Then one day, I turned on my iBook, and it gave me a bright 'You need to restart your computer'. message with 4 different languages. I restarted it hundreds of times, constantly giving me this kp.

Then i formatted my harddrive, re-installed leopard (10.5.6) via target disk (partitioned it, restored the smaller partition with leopard, then booting off that partition in target disk mode). I then deleted that smaller partition with ipartition, resized the main partition, did 3 Disk Repairs (disk utility) and rebooted the iBook.

Still the same kernel panic. CMD-S gave me this error:

Code:
    Wed Dec 31 18:12:10 1969

Unresolved kernel trap(cpu 0): 0x300 - Data access DAR=0x0000000000000120 PC=0x000000001761039C
    Latest crash info for cpu 0:
       Exception state (sv=0x12de2000)
          PC=0x1761039C; MSR=0x00009030; DAR=0x00000120; DSISR=0x40000000; LR=0x1761275C; R1=0x16DFBAA0; XCP=0x0000000C (0x300 - Data access)
          Backtrace:
    0x1761274C 0x17617808 0x175D47E4 0x175D4CBC 0x003454C4 0x00346618 
             0x003484C8 0x003475E8 0x000B0E54 
          Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):
             com.apple.driver.AirPortBrcm43xx(362.27.0)@0x175ca000->0x176f6fff
                dependency: com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family(215.1)@0x16ec5000
                dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.5)@0x12e59000
                dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily(1.6.1)@0x16cec000
    Proceeding back via exception chain:
          previously dumped as "Latest" state. skipping...
       Exception state (sv=0x17d75280)
          PC=0x00000000; MSR=0x0000D030; DAR=0x00000000; DSISR=0x00000000; LR=0x00000000; R1=0x00000000; XCP=0x00000000 (Unknown)

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task

Mac OS version:
    9G66

Kernel version:
    Darwin Kernel Version 9.6.0: Mon Nov 24 17:39:01 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.9.59~1/RELEASE_PPC
    System model name: PowerBook6,7
    panic(cpu 0 caller 0xFFFF0003): 0x300 - Data access
    Latest stack backtrace for cpu 0:
          Backtrace:
             0x0009BCF0 0x0009C694 0x00029EA0 0x000AFA90 0x000B32F8 
    Proceeding back via exception chain:
          PC=0x1761039C; MSR=0x00009030; DAR=0x00000120; DSISR=0x40000000; LR=0x1761275C; R1=0x16DFBAA0; XCP=0x0000000C (0x300 - Data access)
          Backtrace:
    0x1761274C 0x17617808 0x175D47E4 0x175D4CBC 0x003454C4 0x00346618 
             0x003484C8 0x003475E8 0x000B0E54 
          Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):
             com.apple.driver.AirPortBrcm43xx(362.27.0)@0x175ca000->0x176f6fff
                dependency: com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family(215.1)@0x16ec5000
                dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.5)@0x12e59000
                dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily(1.6.1)@0x16cec000
       Exception state (sv=0x17d75280)
          PC=0x00000000; MSR=0x0000D030; DAR=0x00000000; DSISR=0x00000000; LR=0x00000000; R1=0x00000000; XCP=0x00000000 (Unknown)

BSD process 
    I noticed the airport kext maybe causing a problem. I rebooted the iBook in target disk mode, turned off the airport and bluetooth and made them 'inactive' via system preferences. I did a system update (10.5.8 combo update wouldn't install, says packaged couldn't be verified), did a full yasu cleanup, did several Disk Repairs and the result was OK. I did multiple Disk Repair Permissions, it gave me the following list of items, says it repaired them all. Then I do another Disk Repair Permissions, and the same list of items are shown. Disk Repair Permissions isn't repairing s*it all, lol.

Code:
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/AirPort Base Station Agent.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/DVD.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSettings.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSources.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Movies.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Music.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Photos.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Podcasts.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/TV.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BackRow.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/BlackAndWhiteEffect.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/CubeTransition.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/DissolveTransition.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/DropletTransition.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/FadeThroughBlackTransition.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/FlipTransition.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/MosaicFlipTransition.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/MosaicFlipTransitionSmall.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/PageFlipTransition.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/PushTransition.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/RevealTransition.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/SepiaEffect.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/TwirlTransition.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPhotoAccess.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Plugins/WipeTransition.IAPlugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunesHelper.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/A/AppleMobileDeviceHelper.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/A/AppleMobileSync.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Restarted my comp, and I still have kernel panics. I don't have any extra ram, so it's the standard 512 mb built in ram. HDD shouldn't be a problem cause I can boot off it in target. Airport seems to be the issue, but i set it inactive and turned off bluetooth as well! Disk repair permissions isn't working, combo update isn't installing, and I keep getting KPs!!!!! can anyone help me??

Sorry for the essay of a question, I thought I'd just explain everything right off the bat lol. THanks in advance!!!

and just fyi, i'm installing via target disk mode because i backed up my friend's copy of leopard we bought together a while ago. he has the disk at his appt, and i wont be able to get it from him anytime soon, so i have to work with this dmg.

EDIT: Disk warrior threw me an error code while repairing the permissions (when booting up from the iBook in target disk mode) 2903 8902. I rebuilt the disk, and it was successful. Then I booted up from my mac mini, tried repairing the permissions and it this time it worked. Restarted my iBook, but it still no luck, I got another kp. Now i'm going to redownload/install the combo update to my ibook from my mac, because the dmg i downloaded from my ibook didn't pass checksum. and if the updating doesn't fix the issue, i'm going to disable airport via single-user mode.

So now I'm absolutely sure it's the airport if it's not the logic board.

2. akhan360 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I just logged into single-user mode,

ran the following lines:

Code:
    /sbin/mount -uw /
    cd /System/Library/Extensions
    mv AppleAirPort.kext /
    mv AppleAirPort2.kext / <-----this didn't work**
    sudo mkdir backup
    sudo mv IO80211Family.kext backup

exited single user mood, the ibook went to the bluescreen, and kept switching from command line to bluescreen...i shut down the ibook, restarted it, then after like 10 minutes, it booted up! Success! So for those who have the same problem as me, try to pinpoint where the problem could be originating:

Ram?
    HDD?
    Airport?
    Logic Board?

Since the logic board will be harder to test, test the first two. HDD by reinstalling osx, repairing disk permissions from disk utility and diskwarrior, rebuild the disk with disk warrior. If that doesn't work, disable the airport through the gui (didn't work for me), and then through single user mode. If that doesn't solve the problem, remove the ram. Reboot, and if that doesn't work for you, then it is your logic board.

Now I'm trying to download and install the 10.5.8 combo update but it keeps giving me the bad checksum error, but I think thats the fault of my router. Just did a power cycle and now re-downloading the dmg. I've already checked, the NAT is open, and the spi firewall is disabled in my router.

Thanks!

3. akhan360 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it was my router. Netgear routers (especially the wpn824vx) models of routers are notorious for these issues. Even through a wired connection, I got corrupted files. If people are getting this issue, it's a simple fix:

login to the router through a wired connection. go to wan setup. if checked, uncheck 'automatically connect' and 'disable spi firewall'. press apply, wait for it to apply the settings. then check 'disable spi firewall' only and apply the settings again. Then go to router status, click connection status. release and renew. renewing may take some time. but once its finished, it should be all good.

now i'm in the market for a new a1126 airport extreme card lol.