2005 Mac mini

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by nofx2312000, Feb 18, 2014.

1. nofx2312000 macrumors newbie

2005 Mac mini :) questions
    So I just bought an 2005 Mac mini. . The Mac Mini has Bluetooth 512 MB of RAM 80 GB hard drive 1.42 GHz processor. Has a fresh install of OS X on the hard drive. I have it hooked up to a 32 inch Sony HDTV via a dvi to hdmi.

Plugged everything in and it fired up great internet was fast. U my question a that when I went to stream something it looked and streamed awful. Very lagy to SAy the least. Do I need more ram is what I am thinking or ships. Use a different cord. Maybe dvi t VGA
    Any feed back would be great. I just love mac minis

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

RAM will help. It always does. But you have a PowerPC Mac Mini. Flash, hi-def video, streaming. All of those things are going to be laggy. Unlike the Intel Macs, only the most powerful G5 chips can handle the intensity necessary to process all of this smoothly.

There are workarounds. Mactubes for Youtube, HTML5 instead of Flash, etc. But they won't eliminate the problem.

3. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Sounds like the main reason you bought the mini was to stream video? If it is,then your going to want at least a intel mac mini.

Adding all the ram in the world,or installing a faster hard drive won't help for streaming.

4. nofx2312000 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I guess back in 2005 no one was streaming YouTube or movies at all. So my g4 can't do that

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No. But back in 2005 Adobe supported Flash on PowerPC and the videos you found on YouTube weren't anywhere near as complex as they are now.

PowerPC got left behind in 2006. You can't expect a machine of this era to perform flawlessly with the kinds of Flash and Javascript that are current now. Hell, you can't even get past Flash 10 without faking it because that's where Adobe abandoned PowerPC support!

6. RedCroissant Suspended

How do you have it connected to your network? I've found that streaming anything when simply connected over WiFi was a bad experience (even with a PowerMac G5 Quad). The best way to prevent that from happening is to rely on ethernet for your connection and then you won't have any problems. I relied on an iBook G4 for my iTunes Home sharing connected over US and I had zero issues.

7. RedCroissant Suspended

Yes it can!! Depending on what you want to stream and how you want to do it, there are plenty of ways to do that. Someone on here figured out a way to get Netflix working through Plex, there is the MacTubes solution, you could also get an AppleTV and connect that to your network as well.

and 10-100 ethernet is more than enough to handle the what you would need to stream as well. If you don't have a convenient ethernet connection, consider home plugs for that. They work incredibly well and you still get great and consistent speed. Just make sure you don't have it connected to an outlet that's controlled by a switch or you might accidentally lose the connection if your kids like to flip light switches for the fun of it.

8. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

if your mac can run leopard what I have done is download clicktoenable, it is a safari/webkit extension. Set it to either 240 or 360p and also set it to open quicktime. When I use it to view youtube videos it opens quicktime instead and streams beautifully to all my powerpc macs.

9. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

can you supply a link for this "clicktoenable"?

10. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno