Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
I work for a company that buys you a computer when you are hired and then gives you a hand-me-down when necessary. I received a 2.0 Ghz G5 PowerMac & 23" ADC and I love it, but I have the opportunity to grab a mid-2007 20" iMac from a colleague who is leaving for greener pastures. If you were going to be stuck with one of these machines for at least 5 years, which would you choose?

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
I work for a company that buys you a computer when you are hired and then gives you a hand-me-down when necessary. I received a 2.0 Ghz G5 PowerMac & 23" ADC and I love it, but I have the opportunity to grab a mid-2007 20" iMac from a colleague who is leaving for greener pastures. If you were going to be stuck with one of these machines for at least 5 years, which would you choose?

What will you be using it for?

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
If you are going to be using the computer for at least the next 5 years then your only option should be to go with the Intel based iMac. Anything PPC will be useless within a couple of years as software is no longer written in Universal binaries but only for Intel processors.

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
If it's a Dual 2.0, I'd go with the 2.0 for expandability reasons (up to 16 GB RAM vs. 4 GB, and multiple HDDs) ...and the fact that I just like PowerMacs better than "Mactels".

However, if it's a single 2.0, you might want to go with the 2007 iMac (assuming it's Dual core... I think all 2k7's had Dual core, right?).

If you absolutely need the latest video editing software all the time though, you might need the iMac, since as noted, Apple is likely to drop support for the PowerPC sooner or later... probably within the next three to four years, meaning you'll be stuck with the last OS that runs it (10.6? 10.7?), and whatever software was last available. Kind of like how 68K machines were no longer supported after 8.5 was introduced (Mac OS 8.1 being the last 68k-compatible OS), PPC604e's and earlier were dropped after OS 9.2 (workable with a hack, though...), and G3s were dropped with the introduction of Leopard 10.5.

It's your call, but it sounds like you'll be able to use the G5 just fine, assuming you aren't required to always use the latest software in 5 years.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
That's tough.

All I can say is I would keep that 23" ACD. You can hook that to the 20" iMac with the miniDVI monitor adapter and run it at native 1920x1200 resolution.

The G5 is a beast, when running PPC-only apps. A Great Mac for running Office 2004 and the Adobe CS2 package, Dreamweaver 8, etc.

The iMac will be more supportive over "new apps" over the next few years, running Mac OS 11 and 12 (when it comes to that) well OS X 10.6 at least will likely be intel-only. You will still have full Leopard support on the G5. The G5 is nice but anybody would tell you they would also rather have an intel Mac on deck anyday.

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
That's tough.The iMac will be more supportive over "new apps" over the next few years, running Mac OS 11 and 12 (when it comes to that) well OS X 10.6 at least will likely be intel-only. You will still have full Leopard support on the G5. The G5 is nice but anybody would tell you they would also rather have an intel Mac on deck anyday.

Mac OS 11? I don't think so, lol. That's like, five years down the road. Apple won't support the iMac by then.

I doubt 10.6 will be x86-only, but it will likely be the last Mac OS to support PPC.

Never to worry, though... you can still run OS 9 via Classic on 10.4 on a PPC.... and as we all know, OS 9 is far superior and more advanced ;)

I find it so <i>weird</i> that the PPC is going the way of the dinosaur. It's too bizarre. It was the heart of The Macintosh for ten years... before that, the 68k had been in place for ten as well, a chip part of the AIM alliance, so in a sense linked to the PPC. In computer years, that's centuries... a dynasty!

I hope IBM will come out with POWER7 chips so mindblowingly fast, that Apple is compelled to go back to the PowerPC in the form of the G7! Will that ever happen? No, not a snowballs chance in the deepest pit of hell. But I can dream. =]

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Mostly email and Office Suite applications, but I also do video editing and run CS3 apps.

I'd go iMac, max out the RAM and keep the 23" ACD. That will serve you very well for the next 3-4 years and then you can get them to spring for a new one, or nab a newer hand-me-down.

I run CS3 Design Premium on my iMac, and I occasionally dabble in iMovie, and it does very well. With a second monitor, it's really all you'll need unless you get into hard-core video editing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.