2006 1,1 Mac Pro Startup Chime but won't load

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ldra02, Sep 29, 2014.

1. ldra02 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I recently bought a 2006 Mac Pro 1,1 EMC 2113 from eBay, and it was functioning fine for a couple boot ups, but then the cursor froze. I powered the machine off, only to find that it now hung at the Apple logo with no loading wheel.

The unit didn't ship with a keyboard, so I've been trying everything I can think of using 2 different PC keyboards and 2 different mice. I even went so far as to replacing the PRAM battery, no luck there. The keyboards no longer light up, and the machine doesn't seem to respond to them.

I've tried a SMC reset as well, using the power button, and removing the HDD, graphics card, and memory during the reset. Might the computer respond to an Apple keyboard, or should I not bother to get one? Also, any other ideas are welcome.

I have a Snow Leopard disc recently received from Apple as soon as I'm able to get the drive open, and get the machine responding to keyboard commands...

Help is greatly appreciated! I have experience with PC's, but not so much with Mac's.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try holding the left mouse button on a USB mouse during boot and the optical drive should open. This sounds like a hard drive issue.