Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ant3000

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2015
UK
Yep mine also installed fine from that image. And works fine.. so image def works. Mind however after installing the combo update to 10.10.5 from the app store pretty much makes the drive unsee-able. So can't boot.

Hmm.. any ideas guys?
Did you install PIkeYoseFix? This protects the boot.efi files that the combo updater (and possibly other updates) will otherwise overwrite. If you have not used this it may be your problem.

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
Alright so I've checked the time stamps on the boot.efi files in the relevant folders and they are current, so Pike's fix is working.
If your installation boots and the boot.efi files are the right ones, there is no need to set up yet another way of preserving them.
Remove all the hard disks except Yosemite one, check if your computer boots. Restart with "alt" if the disk doesn't show up. Once in Yosemite first, select the disk in the Startup Disk preference pane. I f it doesn't work, re-bless the disk manually
Code:
sudo bless -mount /Volumes/Yosemite_Disk_Name -setBoot
or use
Code:
sudo systemsetup -setstartupdisk /Volumes/Yosemite_Disk_Name/System/Library/CoreServices
Check if it works.

Reactions: b-boyben

b-boyben

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2017
Greenville SC
http://piker-alpha.github.io/macosxbootloader/

Pike made this page (upon the suggestion of his Father, Ralf) to help everyone interested get on-board with the same boot.efi, because most public downloads posted in these forums were compiled by @PeterHolbrook for testing purposes, and often in-complete (if they worked, at all).

I've been using 3.1 since (before) release in Yosemite 10.10.5 and El Capitan 10.11.x with complete success: I and many others can personally verify that it works very well.

Everyone has to have a start, somewhere . . . take your time, and enjoy the discovery <smile>

When one boots a modified installer (whether created through the 'createinstallmedia' process to prepare a USB thumb-drive/partition, or with the Jabbawok, @Hennesie2000 , et al. method I and many others have been using since we first had to fiddle with the guts of the installer to get Mountain Lion installed on 1,1 and 2,1 Mac Pros (hence the "legacy" labeling)), the default "stock" 64-bit boot.efi provided by the Apple installer auto-magically overwrites or replaces the new, modified 32-bit boot.efi, and when a user goes to re-boot the machine to complete the installation, the computer will not successfully boot . . . it's necessary to copy-over Pike's boot.efi to the two aforementioned folders prior to ensure that the second stage of the installer will successfully boot.

You can tell the difference between the different boot.efi's by looking at the size of the file: Apple's boot.efi clocks-in at about 605kb, and Pike's 3.1 boot.efi stands at about 317kb . . . 64-bit vs. 32-bit has to do with the the implementation differences of the UEFI firmware Apple has used to make these things possible (too long to detail, here). Suffice it to say that the 32-bit .efi (originally created by Tiamo in 2009 to get Mavericks up on 1,1 and 2,1 mac Pros, and subsequently adopted/modified by @Pike R. Alpha) is a way to translate the 32-bit firmware dialogue into 64-bit software language, and enable the kernel to understand what is happening, and not react in Panic as it's immediately teleported from a Tokyo subway train during morning rush-hour, and into a farm just outside Lexington, Kansas, USA during mid-harvest, then back, again (and again (and again ( and again))) <grin>

The boot.efi in /System/Library/CoreServices is locked, and cannot be modified/deleted until it is un-locked.

The boot.efi in /usr/standalone/i386 is un-locked.

You cannot un-lock/replace either from the same OS into which you are currently booted, nor can you replace either with being logged-in to an account without Administrator privileges.

I've booted into Lion to modify the Mountain Lion files, used Mountain Lion to modify the Mavericks files, Mavericks to mod Yosemite, etc. . . . you can even boot into Lion to modify the El Capitan files.

You can also boot into the Recovery environment (Recovery HD), and use Terminal to make the changes.

(as Administrator, in Terminal (names and places have been modified to protect the innocent, and complement the not-so <s>))

To unlock:

Code:
# sudo chflags nouchg /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi

To replace:

Code:
# cp /Volumes/Other-OS/Place/where/you/have_copied/Pike/s/boot.efi /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi

Code:
# cp /Volumes/Other-OS/Place/where/you/have_copied/Pike/s/boot.efi /Volumes/Yosemite/usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi

It is not necessary to re-lock the boot.efi in /System/Library/CoreServices to ensure that the installer/OS boots, but you can, if you so choose:

Code:
# sudo chflags uchg /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi

Never, in all my time.

SSDs are tough, though, and they can take quite a beating, but software is, well, soft . . . <g>

You're welcome, @Deg. Peace.

Props also to Splifingate for his excellent explanation of how to do it from a prior boot drive. (i'm just pulling these posts to the end of the forum for easy reference by any newbies like myself).
[doublepost=1485224893][/doublepost]
If your installation boots and the boot.efi files are the right ones, there is no need to set up yet another way of preserving them.
Remove all the hard disks except Yosemite one, check if your computer boots. Restart with "alt" if the disk doesn't show up. Once in Yosemite first, select the disk in the Startup Disk preference pane. I f it doesn't work, re-bless the disk manually
Code:
sudo bless -mount /Volumes/Yosemite_Disk_Name -setBoot
or use
Code:
sudo systemsetup -setstartupdisk /Volumes/Yosemite_Disk_Name/System/Library/CoreServices
Check if it works.

Oh, thanks man! I'll give it a go. Saw this 'reblessing' mentioned but no explanation of how to do it. Now I know!

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
Did you install PIkeYoseFix? This protects the boot.efi files that the combo updater (and possibly other updates) will otherwise overwrite. If you have not used this it may be your problem.

cheers mate, that did it. :)

thanks, now on 10.5.5

now last problem.. how to install the nvidia web drivers?

b-boyben

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2017
Greenville SC
Am I doing something wrong? Here are the results:

Last login: Tue Jan 24 11:24:05 on console
b-boy-Pro1:~ Ben$ sudo bless -mount /Volumes/MacPro_2017 -setBoot

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
#2) Think before you type.
#3) With great power comes great responsibility.

Password:
No mount point for /Volumes/MacPro_2017
Can't determine mount point of '/Volumes/MacPro_2017'
Could not statfs() /Volumes/MacPro_2017
Could not determine filesystem of /Volumes/MacPro_2017
b-boy-Pro1:~ Ben$ sudo systemsetup -setstartupdisk /Volumes/MacPro_2017/System/Library/CoreServices
Not a System Folder: /Volumes/MacPro_2017/System/Library/CoreServices

I tried this in single user mode first, then in normal Yosemite. I can't get it to go into recovery mode on startup, no idea why because, having removed the other two hard drives I had in the machine, it's now booting perfectly. So maybe I'm worrying unnecessarily anyway. I may just erase the OSXLion drive and set it up for Time Machine as I have the Lion install disk, should I ever need it.

b-boyben

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2017
Greenville SC
Sure...

b-boy-Pro1:~ Ben$ ls /Volumes

Extnl Main Extnl Safe MacPro 2017 Yo Boot Extra

The first two are my external (2 partitions). MacPro 2017 is the boot. Yo Boot Extra is the partition I made to install Yosemite from but never used since it worked from the USB.

Previously I had two other internal SATA drives - one a Time Machine drive and the other my OSX10.7 system - but have removed them.

Last edited:

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
You have a blank space in your Yosemite drive name. Rename it to a single word (remove the space), try again. You will be able to revert back to your favourite name once rebooted.

Reactions: b-boyben

b-boyben

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2017
Greenville SC
You have a blank space in your Yosemite drive name. Rename it to a single word (remove the space), try again. You will be able to revert back to your favourite name once rebooted.
You are the man! Seems to have done the trick. I'll stick with the new name. Thanks so much.

F00l_0n_the_h1ll2

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2017
Austria
Maybe the 5GB limit at Mega is the culprit, that somehow corrupts the dl. To check the MD5 might help.

For me it worked to get the genuine dl from a supported machine via AppStore and transfer it to 2 USB-sticks via Apples installmedia terminal command. Then replacing the boot.efi files including making them visible and one of them unvisible again and editing the supported machines.plist at the appropriate locations did the job for me. (As explained in the first post by Mr. Zarniwoop.)
After installing YosePikefix and rebooting twice everything was perfect. Apple ID also worked flawlessly without calling.
You should possibly get your installer from legitimate source (=supported Mac) or update your Mega account to get an uninterrupted dl. Make sure, that you have at least 12GB of RAM and no 512MB modules hanging around, then it should work.
As b-boyben pointed out the name of the start-up volume should not contain any blanks - that seems to be very important. Glad you made it!

b-boyben

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2017
Greenville SC
Maybe the 5GB limit at Mega is the culprit, that somehow corrupts the dl. To check the MD5 might help.

For me it worked to get the genuine dl from a supported machine via AppStore and transfer it to 2 USB-sticks via Apples installmedia terminal command. Then replacing the boot.efi files including making them visible and one of them unvisible again and editing the supported machines.plist at the appropriate locations did the job for me. (As explained in the first post by Mr. Zarniwoop.)
After installing YosePikefix and rebooting twice everything was perfect. Apple ID also worked flawlessly without calling.
You should possibly get your installer from legitimate source (=supported Mac) or update your Mega account to get an uninterrupted dl. Make sure, that you have at least 12GB of RAM and no 512MB modules hanging around, then it should work.
As b-boyben pointed out the name of the start-up volume should not contain any blanks - that seems to be very important. Glad you made it!

I have 10gb ram (4x2gb & 4x512mb) and it seems fine. I think the 512 cards are a problem with el cap rather than Yosemite.

andrew nz

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2017
Christchurch new zealand
hello all

this is the easiest method to install yosemite on Mac Pro 1.1
you will still need at least a radeon 5770 graphic card and also I recommend 16G ram, in addition to your target disk and usb installer.
Once the usb booter is made it will show in startup disk under at least 10.7.5 and booting to it is easy.

it takes about 45 minutes once all items are assembled and there is some terminal action needed.
all files below in the link below are linked and I recommend saving the vid tutorial for reference.

http://www.lincade.org/yosemite-and-the-macpro-1-1-2-1/

Wayne B

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2016
New Zealand
hello all

this is the easiest method to install yosemite on Mac Pro 1.1
you will still need at least a radeon 5770 graphic card and also I recommend 16G ram, in addition to your target disk and usb installer.
Once the usb booter is made it will show in startup disk under at least 10.7.5 and booting to it is easy.

it takes about 45 minutes once all items are assembled and there is some terminal action needed.
all files below in the link below are linked and I recommend saving the vid tutorial for reference.

http://www.lincade.org/yosemite-and-the-macpro-1-1-2-1/
[doublepost=1487497121][/doublepost]Thanks for the clear guidelines here Andrew! It took me hours of trawling through various threads to get what I needed for my upgrades. I now want to flash my 5770 to show a boot screen but am nervous about bricking it. How reliable is the flashing process?

andrew nz

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2017
Christchurch new zealand
[doublepost=1487497121][/doublepost]Thanks for the clear guidelines here Andrew! It took me hours of trawling through various threads to get what I needed for my upgrades. I now want to flash my 5770 to show a boot screen but am nervous about bricking it. How reliable is the flashing process?

I did not flash the 5770. I do not know how to do that from a mac centric perspective.

jayabarnes

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2017
I successfully implemented the Yosemite install on my Mac Pro 1,1 three months ago thanks to the great work done here.

At the moment, something is funky with my boot drive: text appears on the Apple logo boot screen and a premature shutdown/power off occurs before boot up.

I have a SuperDuper clone of my Yosemite, PikeYoseFix'd drive. Does anyone know if I can just do a restore to the damaged boot drive with SuperDuper?

andrew nz

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2017
Christchurch new zealand
I successfully implemented the Yosemite install on my Mac Pro 1,1 three months ago thanks to the great work done here.

At the moment, something is funky with my boot drive: text appears on the Apple logo boot screen and a premature shutdown/power off occurs before boot up.

I have a SuperDuper clone of my Yosemite, PikeYoseFix'd drive. Does anyone know if I can just do a restore to the damaged boot drive with SuperDuper?

hello

if you have a Mac Pro, you have several other slots for drives. maybe replace the dive, perhaps it is defective?

jayabarnes

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2017
I guess it could be defective. It's a 3 months old SSD. The way to find out is to do a restore and see if it works again.

jayabarnes

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2017
My MacPro1,1 Yosemite installation has been working fine for 3 months but I had an OS freeze the other day and now I get this on the grey apple boot screen (modified):

pid 1 exited (signal 0, exit 1)panic(cpu 0 caller 0...): "launchd died\nState at Last Exception:\n\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-2782.50.1/bsd/kern/kern_exit.c:363

Debugger called: <panic>​

Any suggestions on what's happening? I tried a SuperDuper restore from a clone of my pikeyosfix'd Yosemite boot drive and that failed with the error "Exception: Failed to clear ACLs on /Volumes/Mac OS 64 bit. Invalid argument (-1)"

Thanks--

Ant3000

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2015
UK
Can you boot into an earlier OS? This may help to establish if the issue is with Yosemite or the Mac hardware.

jayabarnes

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2017
After resetting my NVRAM (or PRAM), I can boot from an older version of the MAC OS on my Macintosh HD drive. I can also boot from my USB SuperDuper clone of Yosemite. After booting from one of these disks, I can access the contents of my SSD that has Yosemite pikeyosefix'd on it. So except for the boot error, the drive seems to be working correctly.

Ant3000

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2015
UK
Have you tried reseating the RAM modules - costs nothing and may help. There are issues with 512mb RAM modules with El Capitan but not sure if this can affect Yosemite in the same way. If you have any of these installed it may be worth pulling them and seeing if it changes anything.

profvandegraf

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2017
Thank you to all who contributed to this conversation! It has allowed me to take my recently purchased Mac Pro 1,1 and upgrade it to work very well indeed. Added RAM to 32Gb (couldn't believe how cheap) After many false starts and failed attempts at making a usb boot disk, gave that up and borrowed my wife's Imac to install El Capitan on the Mac Pro in target mode. Then restarted the Mac Pro in Lion, replaced the boot.efi files following the appropriate instructions and presto! El Capitan on Mac Pro 1,1. Just upgraded to a mac Radeon 5870, that really makes things work even better. I wasn't yet prepared to flash PC card of some sort so I think I will stick with this for now. Also thinking of upgrading my chips to quad core in the future so I downloaded the firmware upgrade so it now reads Mac Pro 2,1. Funny thing happened when I did that is both of my dvd drives ejected as the firmware was going through it's installation. Thought that was odd but nothing seems amiss...

Wayne B

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2016
New Zealand
After resetting my NVRAM (or PRAM), I can boot from an older version of the MAC OS on my Macintosh HD drive. I can also boot from my USB SuperDuper clone of Yosemite. After booting from one of these disks, I can access the contents of my SSD that has Yosemite pikeyosefix'd on it. So except for the boot error, the drive seems to be working correctly.
It sounds like a kernel panic of some sort. One of your RAM chips might be giving errors. It's hard to diagnose this - you might have to pull all of them and test them individually, or take one out at a time and see if the bootup problems go away...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.