2006 iMac 24 - SSD advice please

Discussion in 'iMac' started by fishyhamster, Jun 25, 2013.

1. fishyhamster macrumors newbie

Has anyone had any experience of upgrading one of the old white iMacs to a SSD?

I use mine mainly for iPhoto and browsing and it performs ok at the moment, so I'm hoping an SSD will give it another couple of years life while I save for a new 27 incher.

However I'm aware that the machine might not be be able to keep up with the best SSDs so I don't want to waste spending extra on a fast drive I won't be able to take full advantage of.

Any advice appreciated.

Chris.

2. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

It will be much faster with the SSD, and it is worth it no matter what.

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I just finished reworking an early 2006 20" with Samsung 250GB SSD, T7600 Core 2 Duo processor, flashed to iMac5,1 firmware to support 4GB RAM, and OS X Lion. Total cost about $500 including the iMac. It runs great, being used for email, web, Word, and Excel mostly. The SSD was critical to making the performance tolerable. WAY faster boot times, apps load quickly, definitely puts new life into an older system.

4. fishyhamster thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I hadn't considered upgrading the processor... Didn't realise it was a possibility.

Presumably there are only a few chips that would work. Was there anywhere in particular that helped you with the project?

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Only Core Duo chips can be upgraded, to Core 2 Duo. This would be early 2006 iMacs. Late 2006 iMacs have Core 2 Duo already and are soldered on, not socketed, so can't be upgraded.

I used this article for basic info on the upgrade, you can use a variety of CPUs but I chose the T7600 (Core 2 Duo 667Mhz 2.23Ghz) which I think is the most powerful compatible option. I used ifixit.com's tear downs as a guide to disassembly/reassembly.

6. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

I have done it, yes. The result was stunning. I did for a friemd with a late 2006 2,33ghz 20" iMac (last white one). Same product line as yours.

He couldn't be happier. Awesome upgrade!

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

All Intell based iMacs have a socketed, upgradable CPU. Even the late 2006 Core2Duos. Most even have an upgradable video card, but those are expensive and difficult to find for little gain.

8. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

Back in late 2010 I was considering buying a new Mac to replace my first gen 17" MBP, when a friend recommended upgrading the HD to a hybrid. During a marathon internet search over Thanksgiving weekend, I found a 120GB Corsair SSD for only 30 or 40 bucks more than the hybrid I was considering, and bought it. I did the install over the Christmas holiday. Best upgrade imaginable. No more beachballing. Apps opened in one bounce. I cancelled all plans to buy a new machine, and continued to use that MBP for another 2 years, even though the screen died and it basically spent it's last year and a half in clamshell mode with an external monitor on it (fortunately I didn't need the portability anymore). I replaced that MBP last November with a 2010 iMac that has the SATA 3GB connector, and that machine absolutely flies, especially with 8GB of RAM.

My guess is that you're probably running SL and planning to stay on it. As long as you don't mind being stuck on that OS, I would definitely recommend getting an SSD and thereby lengthen the life of your machine another couple years.

9. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Good to know, I knew the newer i5/i7 were socketed but an article I saw said the iMac 5,1 was not. Don't have one myself so relying on that.