Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CityOfDelusion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2013
Hi, I have a 2006 iMac, 2.16 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB Ram and over the years my computer has gotten considerably slower. I don't plan on upgrading the ram or taking it apart to change anything, but I do notice it get slower over time. I plan on either buying an iMac or just building a computer soon but I want to use the last bit of life I have left on this computer. I do a pretty good job of keeping the computer clean and wonder if there is anything else I could do to make it faster and and maybe let it last longer. I know the basics of keeping it clean but I was wondering if there is anything not as common that will help it. Is there anything I've missed about keeping a computer fast a clean?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Add RAM, I think that model supports 3GB.

Switch the HDD out for a SSD. My 2006 c2d runs like a new computer after I did that. However it's a bit of work.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Hi, I have a 2006 iMac, 2.16 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB Ram and over the years my computer has gotten considerably slower.
Either upgrade your memory or buy a new computer. Those are your only real choices for performance improvement.

Reinstalling probably won't help as applications like web browser tend to want to use more memory with each new version.

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
I'm currently using a late-2006 16" iMac, with a Core 2 Duo. It has been upgraded to 3GB of RAM and a 80GB SSD, and runs Lion 10.7.5. This thing flies, from power on to login screen in 23 seconds.

The reason why your computer gets slower is because newer apps tend to take up more resources over time. Upgrade the RAM, put in an SSD, and you'll feel like you got a new computer.

StephenCampbell

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2009
The 2006 iMacs were designed to slow down with time unconditionally. There are miniature gnomes with blow torches in there that slowly fry everything.

Just kidding. But from what I've seen it does seem that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.