2006 iMac - upgrade to Lion?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sepultura, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Sepultura macrumors regular

I have a 2006 iMac currently running Snow Leopard. So I ask, Is it worth upgrading to Lion? Snow Leopard is Apple's greatest version of OS X followed by Tiger. They run smooth on even the worst machines.

Specs:

17"
    Core 2 Duo 2ghz
    1GB Ram
    Radeon X1600 128mb

I cleaned it up ready to reformat because there was 7 years of junk on it. There are still tons of random folders and dead programs so a proper reformat needs to be done regardless of my decision.

2. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

I have same Imac (but 2 gig's ram,which lion requires)...I have run both sl and lion...I found lion ran slightly slower and my fans would ramp up slightly more often.

Unless there's some software that requires lion...I would stick with sl.

3. jpcoelho macrumors member

jpcoelho

If you don't need any of the features that were added with Lion, I would stick with Snow Leopard... I have a similar iMac (but with 4Gb RAM), and I think 10.6 is the ideal OS for that machine, considerably faster and less resource-hungry than Lion...

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I have a C2D 2.33GHz with 4GB RAM. I wanted Lion in order to get iCloud integration. I switched to SSD disk and it works quite well, way better than SL with a regular disk.

5. Sepultura thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the comments. I figured the ram wouldn't be enough.

I also thought of using an SSD as I have a 240gb SATA 3. This iMac is using the 250gb standard drive is shipped with.

If I can find cheap ram maybe it's worth going to Lion. iCloud would be nice.