2006 Mac Book System Crash (Core Duo 1.83)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by argo82, May 5, 2016.

1. argo82 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have an original 2006 Macbook Core Duo. It has a completely dead battery, but I run it off power. Randomly it will seem to shut down but not totally. The OS will lock up solid, screen will power off, however computer will stay on. If an external screen is connected it will stay on but lock up solid too. Fans will still spin but the only way to recover is to hold down power button, then reboot. Instead of a complete reboot it will wake up as if it was hibernating and continue where it left off, if in OSX. It has happened in OSX or just sitting at the boot screen or when in target mode. I have tried different hard drive and ram configurations with same result. I have also checked connection of the keyboard top case and everything is solid. Fan looks clean and system is not overheating. I have tried resetting PRAM and SMC. Some have complained of random shutdowns but this seems to be different.

Other random things with the laptop though, I had to purchase a usb wifi card because the airport stopped working, then years later it randomly worked again. Also, the sound output port had the red light for years and that randomly fixed itself. SPPOOOOKKYY! lol.

it's not a machine I use anymore since its limited to Snow Leopard as the Core Duo is 32-bit, but just curious. If not fixable I will probably just junk it or sell for parts.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

2. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

My old 2012 MBA 11" I7 which will give the new 2016 rMB a good run for their money is just about worth $150, so a new battery for your old 2006 MB would be worth about 10x it's value :)

Sorry it just a paper weight now and not worth time or money to fix, you would probably get more for the charger than the MB.

3. argo82 thread starter macrumors newbie

yup i'm thinking that way too. it's 10 years old. it had a hard life before I bought it used. doesn't make much sense for me to buy anything for it now. Even working more reliably I wouldn't know what to do with it unless I find a dedicated use for it, but I have much faster machines I'm not using already.

4. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

If it was working they are handy for guests or in a holiday home you can just leave them there and use them for streaming to a TV etc or as napkin holder for outside dining :D