Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaron321

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Providence
My graphics card has failed, and since then it has been causing my computer to completely shut down. So I decided I will replace the ancient (stock) NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT with the ATI Radeon 5770

http://m.ebay.com/itm/231466617634?_mwBanner=1

There are very few "supported" options for replacements, but both the GeForce 8800 GT and the ATI Radeon X1900 (the only other options that seem reasonable) got really clunky reviews for unanimous reasons.

Today, I noticed that there are later models of the 5770 I chose to go with. They are the 5850, 5870, 6850, and 6870.

Would an early model Mac Pro 1.1 like mine, with a processor and RAM upgrade (11-15gb) work with any of those "out of the box"?

My processor upgrade was from stock to something better without changing the firmware or flashing the ROM or whatever, so I don't think that part matters.

Thank you. Anyone interested in the dilemna that brought me here, just check out my previous post in the Mac Pro section.

Last edited:

Machines

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2015
Fox River Valley , Illinois
My graphics card has failed, and since then it has been causing my computer to completely shut down. So I decided I will replace the ancient (stock) NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT with the ATI Radeon 5770

There are very few "supported" options for replacements, but both the GeForce 8800 GT and the ATI Radeon X1900 (the only other options that seem reasonable) got really clunky reviews for unanimous reasons.

Today, I noticed that there are later models of the 5770 I chose to go with. They are the 5850, 5870, 6850, and 6870.

Would an early model Mac Pro 1.1 like mine, with a processor and RAM upgrade (11-15gb) work with any of those "out of the box"?

My processor upgrade was from stock to something better without changing the firmware or flashing the ROM or whatever, so I don't think that part matters.

Thank you. Anyone interested in the dilemna that brought me here, just check out my previous post in the Mac Pro section.

tricky , since your Mac is a 32 bit model and that and limited OS X options restrict what cards you can install . Mac Edition 5770 is the fastest card I've seen in the wild with this Mac . I don't think a M.E. 5870 will work .

MVC might be able to help .

you want this card :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-App...660?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339bcaf944

has a dvi and two mini display ports . the real deal !

aaron321

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Providence
That's wonderful and all, but well over 2x the price of what appears to be the same model number in the link I provided. The problem for people like me is not compatibility, but how to decipher all the crazy numbers and letters that sellers insert before and after the standard model number.

They all look different, but the core model number and brand stays the same (5770)

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
The link you first noted is unflashed, so no boot screens and DVD player won't work, etc.

Big question to ask is what OS are you going to run?

You can fairly easily put Yosemite on that machine. If you are going to you want different cards than if you are going to stick with the officially supported 10.7.5 max.

aaron321

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Providence
The link you first noted is unflashed, so no boot screens and DVD player won't work, etc.

Big question to ask is what OS are you going to run?

You can fairly easily put Yosemite on that machine. If you are going to you want different cards than if you are going to stick with the officially supported 10.7.5 max.

My mac is not officially capable of running an OS beyond Tiger 10.7.5. I understand it's possible, but what I have is what I have, and I'll never decide to put anything more on it. I am happy with Tiger, thank you very much.

Fortunately, I have backups, and can only pray that I can get some data back in a recovery. (see my previous issues)

Anyways, my question was about how to interpret the way all these different letters and numbers are presented in front and back of the same model number of graphics cards being sold. It's making my head spin, and it's impossible to shop (both price-wise and spec-wise) for one product. The 5770.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
They don't really matter.

If you want boot screens and full function then the only good 5770 is the real Apple one.

Find it's p[art number and look for that.

Real Apple will be easy to spot, it's the only one with 2 @ mdp ports and a single DVI.

PC ones and flashed ones will have Dual DVI ports and a single DP port.

Flashed ones only show boot screen via one of the DVI ports connected via VGA adaptor. Not good unless you are using a VGA display by itself.

aaron321

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Providence
They don't really matter.

If you want boot screens and full function then the only good 5770 is the real Apple one.

Find it's p[art number and look for that.

Real Apple will be easy to spot, it's the only one with 2 @ mdp ports and a single DVI.

PC ones and flashed ones will have Dual DVI ports and a single DP port.

Flashed ones only show boot screens and full function, via one of the DVI ports connected via VGA adaptor. Not good unless you are using a VGA display by itself.

I want boot screens and full function, but I only use one basic monitor, and never plan to use two simultaneously. Nor do I play any games on Mac or PC, or video edit. Only photo edit extensively.

I havent tried to disable my defective video card yet, because I hate taking chances with my data, and am trying to isolate a hard drive issue.

But in regards to your suggestion, I was getting the feeling early on that this is the path I have to take. And I guess that makes the "Apple" cards even harder to find.

Any "for sale" reccomendations beside the ebay link that was already posted?.. Perhaps a specific merchant who specializes in old Apple parts?

theMoleman

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2015
I've got an 8 year old Mac Pro 1,1 which came with an X1900, however I replaced the card a few years ago and haven't had any issues since.

I'm now running an ATI 5870 1GB card - the Mac version - and can highly recommend this card as an upgrade for the 1,1

If you can get the Mac version then the swap should be pretty straight forward (I got mine from OWC, not sure if they still stock it) or you could go down the PC card flashing route, but I don't have any experience with this unfortunately.

Hope this helps :)

----------

Actually, here's one on eBay for $140:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATi-Radeon-HD-5770-1GB-Graphics-Video-Card-For-All-Apple-Mac-Pro-2006-2012-5870-/251828746945

Machines

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2015
Fox River Valley , Illinois

A real 5770 Mac Edition (with one DL DVI and two mini DisplayPorts) is a slam dunk choice if you want a decent card and do not want to deal with flashed video cards . I believe it requires Mac OS X 10.6.4 or later . I have enclosed a picture of one from a competitor . I know one of the leading D & D illustrators and he used exactly this configuration professionally (Mac Pro 1,1 and a real Mac Edition 5770 ) until last year .

Real 5870 Mac Editions will work with some Mac Pro 1,1, but not guaranteed , depending on your Mac's bootrom and OS X version . Do research in the forums please, as I do not know precisely .

Attachments

• $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    225.8 KB · Views: 192

aaron321

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Providence
I've got an 8 year old Mac Pro 1,1 which came with an X1900, however I replaced the card a few years ago and haven't had any issues since.

I'm now running an ATI 5870 1GB card - the Mac version - and can highly recommend this card as an upgrade for the 1,1

If you can get the Mac version then the swap should be pretty straight forward (I got mine from OWC, not sure if they still stock it) or you could go down the PC card flashing route, but I don't have any experience with this unfortunately.

----------

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATi-Radeon-HD-5770-1GB-Graphics-Video-Card-For-All-Apple-Mac-Pro-2006-2012-5870-/251828746945

A real 5770 Mac Edition (with one DL DVI and two mini DisplayPorts) is a slam dunk choice if you want a decent card and do not want to deal with flashed video cards . I believe it requires Mac OS X 10.6.4 or later . I have enclosed a picture of one from a competitor . I know one of the leading D & D illustrators and he used exactly this configuration professionally (Mac Pro 1,1 and a real Mac Edition 5770 ) until last year .

Real 5870 Mac Editions will work with some Mac Pro 1,1, but not guaranteed , depending on your Mac's bootrom and OS X version . Do research in the forums please, as I do not know precisely .

Thanks for the input, guys. I have decided to buy a used card (Apple 5770) off someone in this forum who read my post and sounds reasonable. I am confident replacing the card will eliminate some problems I have been seeing for several years. But I have to wait for my firewire cable, external backup drive, and lipstick and rouge before I reinstall my OSX Tiger. Was it my failing graphics card that has caused my current OSX "mega-crash" at the current moment? (mentioned in other posts)

The world may never know.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA

----------

That is a flashed one.

Netkas & I worked out the roms for those a few years back. Sadly, the "copy & paste" flasher crowd never improved on the basic roms we posted. This means no boot screens anywhere except a single VGA display connected to the DVI port via a pass-through adapter.

The ONLY ones with boot screens on all ports are the real Apple cards. Easy to figure out, they have 2 @ mDP and a single DVI. Those are Apple, any other combo of ports has no boot screens except VGA.

spadz93

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2009
I got the same computer and am looking to upgrade. I don't mean to thread jack but what are some of the more powerful cards capable of running in this computer, flashed or not? 1gb seems rather low by today's standards, I was hoping for a bit more strength to throw into this workhorse

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.