2006 Mac Pro Debug Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by silentsage, May 10, 2009.

1. silentsage macrumors member

Can anyone tell me what it means when the status LED on a 2006 mac pro flashes constantly at power-on? I have a copy of the 2006 Mac Pro service manual, and it only explains a single flash and triple flash.

Here's the situation. I inherited a 2006 Mac Pro that was fully functional except the front panel USB ports. I purchased a replacement front panel board from a parts dealer, and installed it in the Mac Pro using the service manual directions ( I'm an electronics technician). Everything worked fine after the installation.

The front panel board was slightly misaligned relative to the case, and it made it difficult to easily insert a flash drive. I opened up the machine, loosened the mounting screws, and realigned the board (no cables were disconnected).

When trying to restart the machine, all I get now is a constantly flashing status LED. I completely disassembled the machine and ensured that all cables are properly connected and nothing is shorted, but it didn't help.

I can't find anything in the service manual or the Apple web site that defines what the constant flashing of the LED is intended to mean.

Any ideas are welcome, thanks.

2. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

You probably have to reseat your RAM.

The flashing light means it didn't pass it's initial self-test and most of the time that's from RAM either needing to be reseated or which has gone bad.