Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madonionrings

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
Today I came home from work and turned on my Mac Pro. At first everything appeared normal and I walked away on a call for a few minutes. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed the screen was flashing to black off and on. I turned off the tower to try and restart it and now it wont boot! :mad:

I have removed all other hard drives aside from the boot drive. Re-seated all RAM. Tried various combination's of RAM. Tried to load the snow leopard install only to get a kernal panic. Tried again with just RAM and received a kenal panic as well.

Does anyone have any ideas of where to go next? I need to get this back up for a client deadline. Thanks in advance.

*Update* It seems that the RAM when I swapped it out was VERY hot for only being in a short period of time (under 10 min). Not sure if this helps.

avinator

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2006
Do you get a White screen ? Black screen ? Did you try a select boot from a different drive ? Can you be more specific what happens when you boot ?

digiegg

macrumors regular
May 23, 2007
it could be something like ONE of your RAM being bad. I had a time where the computer just won't boot because one of the RAM was bad.
I put in 2 rams (sets) at a time to see if they would boot. Seems like 1 of the 6 rams I had went bad and prevented my computer from launching.

madonionrings

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
I tried to boot to the main drive with no luck. Afterwords I tried to load up the install CD with no luck as well. The main drive just freezes on the light grey load screen. The install CD does a dark grey wipe from top the bottom and then gives a kernal panic.

I cant even do a fresh install.

I have tried every paired set of ram I have by itself with the same results. I would doubt that 6 DIMMs all went bad at the same time?

Could a kernal panic be caused by a graphics card?

madonionrings

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
UPDATE: After removing the 8800 card and replacing with my old x1900 the installer booted!

After using disk utility to verify my boot drive it found a minor header error which it repaired successfully. I wonder if that would cause a kernal panic as well? Should I just do a clean install and call it a day? Do I need to do a fresh install if I swapped the video card?

My question is if the 8800 card is bad or if the installer simply wont boot with it in the system? This happened on the Snow Leopard install disk.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Bad card. SL has all needed drivers for 8800 so this is not an issue.
No need to reinstall OS after cards swap. All required files are already installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.