2006 Mac Pro or 2008 Alu MacBook + Cinema Display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Goftrey, Mar 19, 2013.

?

Pro or 'Book?

Poll closed Mar 26, 2013.
  1. 2006 Mac Pro + PowerBook G4

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. 2008 Alu MacBook + Cinema Display

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Having just made £500 from selling my iMac & MacBook (both '06 models) I'm now on the lookout for a new setup. I've narrowed it down to two choices;

1. Buy a 2006 2.66GHz Mac Pro, deal with a crummy 1366x768 display & get myself a PowerBook G4 to serve my portable needs.

OR

2. Buy a late 2008, unibody aluminium MacBook along with a 20" cinema display.

They both come out at around the £500 mark & both would be great setups. Although the Pro would obviously have more beef under the bonnet I don't think I would ever really harness it's full power, as my day-to-day programs tend to be Photoshop CS4, 720p iMovie '11, iTunes, Safari and Mail. All of which I was doing on my 2ghz Core 2 Duo iMac quick enough. Having the ability to simply have more than 1 internal hard drive is a huge plus for me though, as well as being able to put in a new graphics card whenever you want, or have 5 extra USB ports at your disposal.

Please drop a vote & try and guide my thoughts on where I'm going with this. I don't want to blow half a grand & then regret something two weeks later. Thanks.

2. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Just to give you a heads up - I know you are getting an external display with the Alu Macbook but if you ever plan on using the Alu Macbook screen, it is inferior to the "real" Macbook Pros.