2006 mac pro worth it?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kenny87ky, Oct 19, 2011.

1. kenny87ky, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011

kenny87ky macrumors newbie

So I am contemplating buying a mac for some reason. I really want to try one and haven't used them since elementary school, which was 15+ years ago. I knew the mac pro was out of my league and was not designed for the average user, but I notice that the 2006 versions have hit the $550-$600 mark for the lowest prices I've seen.

I'm not a laptop lover, so it was between this an imac, or mac mini. I know its outdated, but considering the prices I thought for an average user who prefers desktops it may be worth considering, I mean if people are paying $600 for a new mac mini this has got to be worth that much I would think?

But I am not certain, perhaps its worth the extra for a newer imac or something?

So, is this worth considering for someone wanting to take a look at the mac but doesn't really need the raw power of the latest offerings, honestly I am better suited for PC, as the most intensive things I would do is gaming and everything else is easily handled on this 2.10Ghz dual core intel laptop I am using with integrated graphics and 4 gigs of ram. If I ever get back into gaming I will build me a windows machine, but at the same time I would still like a mac to try at least once in my life, I am sure I am not the only windows guy who still like to use a mac now and then.

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Everything in Apple's current lineup is faster now than than even the dual 3.0GHz Mac Pro 1,1.

A 2.3GHz i5 (MacMini base) scores around 5800 in Geekbench. All models get faster from there.
    A 1,1 Mac Pro nets you 3700-5400. If the model advertised is the 3.0GHz one it may be worth it but don't do the 2.0GHz. It is literally 2x 2.0GHz Core 2 Duos. You'll probably want to install an updated graphics card as well. The Radeon HD5770 works even though it is listed as unsupported.

3. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

The iMac is such a great system. I'd go that route unless you've already got a high end monitor, keyboard and mouse. They are really, really nice. Not to mention faster and more power efficient than the old Mac Pro.

4. kenny87ky thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm...considering the imac should I get a new one or try to save $300 or more and go for a 2010 model? I have noticed one issue I have with the newest ones is the non replacable HDD, this could be a problem because whenever I go to let go of one of my computers, weather I sell or give it away, I always trash and replace the HDD, never trusted myself to completley wipe it.