2006 Macbook 13" won't turn on

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by fsom, Oct 8, 2012.

1. fsom macrumors newbie

My 2006 macbook was working fine a few days ago, but yesterday and today I have had trouble getting it to start up. I'll shut the computer down, press the power button, and the power indicator lights up, and I hear a slight whir, a click, and then nothing. Once, a grey "You need to restart your macbook" screen appeared, but it has not happened since. I've tried resetting the SMC and NVRAM to no avail. There is no startup sound. Both the battery and the power adapter are connected and working. No longer covered under warranty so I can't get support from Apple either, and I am currently in India, so no Genius bar to visit.

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Sometimes the clicking sound is from the HDD, if this is so it's on its way out, I would recommend a backup and keep it up to date.
    If the HDD fails you still have your backup.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Has the hard drive been making any funny noises or has been abnormally loud since? Because it may be hard drive failure - Make sure you've backed up all your important files, then just keep using your MacBook like normal and see what happens :)