2006 Macbook Logicboard Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TeddyCarter, Dec 30, 2011.

1. TeddyCarter macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I have a 2006 13" Macbook which has been diagnosed as needing a new logicboard (has been running slow, over heating, refuses to go to "sleep", and airport port doesn't work). According to the Apple Store it will cost about $420 for this part to be replaced. I am wondering if this is a worthwhile investment?

I replaced the harddrive on my own 2 years ago. Could I potentially attempt to replace the logicboard on my own to save money? I have looked at online tutorials, and although there are a lot of components to keep track of during the replacement, the process doesn't seem too daunting.

Should I throw in the towel on my good old iPal and start considering a new addition to the family? I use a lot of software such as photoshop, final cut pro, etc, which needs a good, fast running computer.

Any advise would be appreciated!

Thanks!

-Teddy

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

There is a huge difference in the skills required between changing a hard disk in a MacBook in comparison to swapping out the logic board.....

The estimate makes no economic sense - it simply is not worth it. Also, I am not convinced that the logicboard replacement would make much difference to your problems.

If you need a new Airport card then get one ($15-20), the sleep issue is more likely to be in the IR sensor/sleep led area at the front of the MacBook.

Overheating could well be dust blocking the fan.....

I would start with the Airport card and cleaning out the fan and maybe removing and replacing the heatsink compound.

You only really need a small good quality Phillips 00 screwdriver and a spudger to get into the MacBook and do the above and that way you will discover whether you feel up to swapping out the logic board yourself !!!

3. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

I'd follow this guys advice. and if it comes to the replacing the logicboard then I think if you are halfway decent with your hands you can probably replace the board yourself. I'm by no means a copmuter genius but I'm decent with my hands and with the help of ifixit I've been able to replace most anything on all the macs i've worked on