2006 Macbook Pro 1.1 Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Arcsylver, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Arcsylver macrumors member

Hello everyone,

I was lucky enough to be given a 2006 Macbook Pro 15" 1.1 a few months ago and I have been working to upgrade this wonderful old gal.

So Far I have done the following to her:
    1. Upgrade RAM from stock 512 MB to 2 GB
    2. Upgraded OS from stock to 10.6.8
    3. Repaired dead right side fan (this was why i was given the Macbook, original owner thought the hard drive was dying)

What I am curious about is what else I can feasibly do to her to max her out.

I have been researching SSD hard drives and thinking of installing either a 120 GB SSD or possibly a 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD. Which of these would be the better option for longevity as well as performance in the future. The macbook is my primary computer and I will likely be using it for at least a coupe more years for things like web/email/podcast recording/itunes and Secondlife. No heavy video work, and only mild photo editing using stock Canon Digital Photo Professional and iPhoto.

She also needs a new battery which I have determined the best option is direct from Apple to the tune of 129 dollars for a fresh OEM battery.

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Get the SSD and if you arent using the optical drive, swap it out with optibay.
    Put the SSD in the main bay, and 1TB HDD on the optibay.

This way, you won't have problems with your small storage.

And just to clear one thing for you, its SSD. Not SSD hard drive.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Changing the hard drive to an SSD is pretty much all you can change at this point anyway.

4. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

Get an SSD. That's basically your must-have upgrade. It will make the machine feel reborn and fast. Also, you could do some dust removal and maybe renew the thermal paste. This, to give the MacBook Pro the best chance.

I've recently installed an SSD into a MacBook 1,1 and it's been flying ever since. It's hard to believe the life you get out of a 6 years old machine.
    Topcase renewed and it's as new.